The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP with BRAKES

V

Probably a naive question???:stupid:

Haven’t had my car for long (only been out 6 times:( )

When I brake quite hard, but not so the ABS cuts in, the ‘!’ warning light comes on and now the ‘hand brake/pad’ warning light comes on as well, which I don’t think it did to begin with.

I take/hope this is just the brake pads?:stupid:

Any suggestions please?

Got some piccys if you would like a look :)

Many thanks

Stephen

didnt the garage do a service on the car before you got it?

bloody typical,

n yup as above top up the fluid, it might just be that when youre flying about the levels are creaping down, causing the alarm bells to ring, does the light(s) stay on permanently or are they just on when hammering the brakes???

top her up n if its not sorted have a good look at the pads, if theyre ok, then you can get worried!!!

Branners, HISUPE, albundy68,

Will have a top up then, or maybe all new fluid.

albundy68

It doesnt stay on for that long, & is more prone to to happen when i've floored it & then had to stop (as you do:innocent: )

Gordon F

Aren’t they the bigger brakes? i'll be really p1ssed off if theyre not.

Took delivery of it and then went on holiday - a right pain in the ar5e. new toy and cant play with it:(

It is supposed to have the bigger brakes.

Piccy attached. the wheels are 17" FYI.

Thanks again

Stephen

PS. Also youve got to keep the boot release lever pulled up to open the boot other wise it still latches.

PPS. I cant get the standard toyota alarm to work properly - although its got anohter as well - just fitted.

PPPS. All this & its just had its 3rd birthday!!

dsc01999a.jpg

Originally posted by V

PS. Also youve got to keep the boot release lever pulled up to open the boot other wise it still latches.

I think it relies on the boot struts to lift it clear of the latch when you pull the lever. Does your boot stay up on it's own? If not, the struts may need replacing.

Originally posted by V

PPS. I cant get the standard toyota alarm to work properly - although its got anohter as well - just fitted.

The standard j-spec alarm isn't Thatcham approved so you're probably best off forgetting about it and fitting one that your insurance company will be happy with.

PS. Where in Suffolk are you?

HISUPE

Bollox:(

I'll be on the phone then.

Gordon F

The boot holds itself very well. even if i open it with the key it has to be pushed up whislt the key is turned. it doesnt spring up though.

It came with the standard jap toyota alarm. you push the button once and it locks, pusg it again and it beeps at me - so i presume its armed?? but doesnt seem to function.

I have fitted a CAT 1 alarm as well now, but i think 2 alrams are better than 1?

You have PM Gordon

Thanks to all

Bummer mate :(

As for the boot - it could be perished boot rubbers, as these provide a tight shut and also something to pop the lid up when you pull the lever/turn the key.

Kinda hard to describe but they are about a tenner from toyota and are on the sides of the boot (not the hatch itself) just up from the lights.

Hi guys,

Not trying to hijack this thread or anything but seemed a good place to ask:

My front pads are RED in colour. Can anyone identify them or suggest a manufacturer with red pads? UK size, i know....very poor untechnical description but just thought i'd try ya??

Gotta replace my front pads very soon you see............

Dan

Thanks for all your replies.

Discs - yes its a right bugger.

The discs are a little scored.

When i saw the car in Japan (photos) they said it had the Jap brakes, but when it came in the country they said it had the UK brakes? .......... fishy??? going to have a look at the original photos.

Are all the VVTi supposed to come with the bigger brakes as standard?

Going to have to look into this some more.

The boot rubbers seem ok & my first thoughts was the catch.

I dunno.... i'll take it into a garage and let them do the buisness under the warranty i suppose and ask if the brakes look like been changed.

I've heard mixed reports about the EBC stuff. i used to have the green on my prelude which was a damn sight better than the standard stuff. i know someone who uses the red on a 200sx who seems to get on well with once there up to temp, but its 200kg lighter.

Will post on any findings:) :)

Regards

Stephen

I got through 2 sets of EBC greens and turbogroove discs on my scoob - steady driving after fitting, by the time I'd got home they'd warped :mad: So I went back, had a new set of discs/greens fitted, took it even easier - still warped by the time I got home - so their own discs couldn't even cope with their pads - not a good sign :rolleyes:

I then went back again (this was Northampton, I live in Guildford, quite a lot in petrol this! :rolleyes: ) and this time they fitted the redstuff with their discs. Now the good news here was they didn't warp. However, they also didn't work AT ALL from cold, and after a couple of heavy breaking (bear in mind this is their track pad) would fade to crap, so they were next to useless in any condition. :mad:

EBC are cheap - to me that would say it all, why spend thousands on a car, pay money for good tyres etc and then put cheap ass brakes on, you get what you pay for that is for sure. I went on to Ferodo DS2500 which were flipping ace in comparison to the EBC, no contest, but then, they were twice the price. Comes back again to you get what you pay for.

I *might* consider EBC on a warm hatch, but on anything fruity? you must have a death wish!!!!!

BTW - I don't rate/like 'em in case you hadn't guessed ;)

I'm also not alone in this, several other scoob owners I talked to on scoobynet had experienced exactly the same thing, the majority hated them!