The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vibration/Shudder from rear. 97 VVTi TT RZ

Stolichnya

Hello, posted this B4 but in wrong section i think. Anyhew, when the car is cold or warm, i get a real shudder/vibration form the rear under mediocre boost (wont do full boost when cold of course) its more from the left rear side but oddly, when its hot and gone thru full boost once or twice its not doing it!

It does it every time its stared from cold but when hot, no sign at all!

HEEEEEEEEEELLLPPP

I am driving to Luxembourg in it next Thur and want to get it sorted

thax for any help all

not one reply! i posted this on other forum too and no answers at all, do you have the same thing? damn odd, only does it when cold/cool/warm buit once i have rtidden thru it for 1st time on boost it does not do it again! leave it for few hours to go cold and there it is again! it may be the exhaust rubbing (but dont think so) until its hot. only started doing it 2 weeks ago but it is really a bad shudder/vibration, it resonate thru the car and is very auduable

mine isn't quite the same (being an n/a) and mine does it intermittently whether hot or cold but it IS a bad vibration and enough to point the car in a different direction if i wasn't to correct it (not tramlining, either).

Might be the exhaust if you haven't got a standard one.

Has it been doing this since you got the car or fitted an exhaust.

On my Nur Spec R the back box wil drop a little when it warms up due to the hanging rubbers stretching a little when warm.

Think I would check this first to make sure it's not catching.

Hi Mercx

I had thought this might be it but the exhaust has been on for 6 months and the problem has only been about for 2 weeks. It really feels like the rear left wheel but as it only does it when cold it cant be, this is what is stumping me. The exhuast i have is a no-CAT complete custom made one, it has been running fine till 2 weeks ago.

could it be the diff low on oil until its worked round and warm, no eveident leak there tho.. Gear box oil low?

its a pain

i think i may have a solution or answer to this. if the supra has a limited slip diff, i have been told that the "clutches" inside and if the shim's are worn slightly or a bit then they will cause a shudder until they are warm and expanded. The shudder is caused by the shims/clutches not doing what they do properly until they have expnaded enough to take up the missing slack!

Does this sound feasable or a good explanation?

will keep everyone (looking) updated as its in right now for a water leak, new fast road pads and a look into the shudder. Ther bloke said it was the most likekly reason. i thought it had an LSD as std but i know nothing about these things. new oil going in diff as a precaution anyway.

Most important thing is the water leak. i just had a new water pump fitted and its laking afetr 2 weeks!!

Hia, back again! Mine is a 97 Manual TT 6spd RZ with about 400bhp.

I had a chat with the garage last night and he had been in touch with someone for a chat re this and was told that if the Diff is emptied, slushed out and re-filled it should cure the problem! fingers crossed.

He ssaid its the shims inside worn a tad and not doing what they should until warm/hot, which would explain why it only does it once when you open it up a tad. I dunno. Odd how it can be this on a 43,000 mile old car!

Am also having huge problems with a water pump leaking too, its only juyst been fitted and its p*****ing all over. Hope its done today as only have until Thursday to test before i set off for Luxembourg in the Supe! EVERYTHING CROSSED

I had a chat with the garage last night and he had been in touch with someone for a chat re this and was told that if the Diff is emptied, slushed out and re-filled it should cure the problem! fingers crossed.

He ssaid its the shims inside worn a tad and not doing what they should until warm/hot, which would explain why it only does it once when you open it up a tad. I dunno. Odd how it can be this on a 43,000 mile old car!

when you say the shims inside would that only be in an LSD or would it effect an open diff as well? (as you can tell i know bugger all about diffs!!)

i dont know myself - i just assumed they hd an LSD! i will let you know if i am the proud owner of an LSD or not later.... hopefully if i get the car back today. I tell ya, a 1.2 Corsa is doing nothing for my cred! paper bag anyone?

Am also thinking about the RTLC traction thingymajig, std traction cont is about as much use as a fart in a space suit!

email add is [email protected] as i cant have this open all this time, email me if want to cont chat re this