The mkiv Supra Owners Club

is it possible ...

Roy

is it possible to run a 264 in cam and a 272 ex cam ? if so, how much difference will this make ? what else needs to be done to support this if at all ? is there anything to take note of / be wary of ? hoping from input from the technically gifted ones eg terry, CW, ian, dude (even!). thanks guys ...

edit : is it ok to run one hks cam and one jun cam ?

why a pile of poo ? is it to do with other ancillaries that need to be tweaked/adjusted to do it right or is it a matter of configuration that would make this all wrong ? i went from stock jap cams to both the 264's with barely a murmur of difference (even an untuned safc! but with pump/regulator done prior) so was wondering if i swopped out the 264 ex for a 272 jobbie, the differences would not be that much ? or am i (as usual) missing something here ?

Don`t see why there should be any physcial reason but for performance reasons you would need to speak with one of the techies on here on which cam profiles are better for what you are trying to achieve.

I know the JUN cams have a higher lift than the HKS and that JUN are also in cahoots with Cosworth.

:thumbs:

I found a lot of difference going from stock (everso mild) j-specs to 256in 264ex, lovely. Keeping them staggered like the factory config is a good idea, the 272ex might be a bit mad though, by all accounts I've heard about the 272's are only much good on drag cars/mid-sized turbo's upwards. There is a good power graph floating around somewhere on the net which shows a disturbing power loss low down with not exactly that great a gain up top...

To be honest it's probably not worth the £350 or so the cam will cost.

-Ian

wez - i thought so too ...

dandan - as far as i can recall, swopping over to the 264's caused me no driveability issues at all ie no lumpiness or rough idle normally associated with a higher lift duration cam profile (at idle, there is very little burbling). i am not sure why but i do know that at 150+ leptons, the car was still pulling quite strongly .. hence i have gained top end with no discernible low down loss although i must admit i was expecting some. i have a Hiper exhaust, fully DeCatted, Walbro/SAFC/FSE, ERL W.I., Blitz SUS filter and a HKS 'S'-type Intercooler aside from the cams and running about 1.25 on max boost

ian - thanks for the reply as i was hoping for your input on this. i take your point re the intrinsic value of this idea circa the 350 pounds. i was wondering if i kept the profiles staggered like you have ie 264 in and 272 out if this would alleviate any possible lumpiness (foreseeably) as well keep low down power in a useable band ? i can understand a total swop to both 272's would curb low down power but was hoping a staggered approach may not ? are there any possible problems with using a HKS 264 in cam and a JUN 272 ex cam ? thank you

edit : just saw your reply gaz ... thanks. am just trying to figure out the ins and outs of this at the mo' ... :)