The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tunisia

peter richards

been there twice now. is pretty cool. have no idea about currency. things i remember...

1. everyone touching my hair cos it was blonde

2. a man wanting to buy my sister with 2 camels

3. waking up very early when the guy at the top of the tower starts shouting

4. scorpions, everywhere! the little buggas

been there twice now. is pretty cool. have no idea about currency. things i remember...

1. everyone touching my hair cos it was blonde

2. a man wanting to buy my sister with 2 camels

3. waking up very early when the guy at the top of the tower starts shouting

4. scorpions, everywhere! the little buggas

2. is your sister quite fit then? seem to recall my dad only got offered one camel for my mum......unless it was the exhange rate at the time lol

4. also watch out for cockroaches....won't harm you but send a shiver down your spine when you step on one when you're not looking

yep - was there last feb..... which part you going to? we went to sousse .... honestly - brilliant place... brilliant food!!

nightlife was...... diffrent lol - make sure you take enough of the good stuff with you as drinks cost arm and a leg over there!! - currency, i cant remember, but i got ripped of £5 for a bounty on my first day!!!

plenty of local women - and stunning!! but - as i found out - few of them turned out to be call girls :(

2. is your sister quite fit then? seem to recall my dad only got offered one camel for my mum......unless it was the exhange rate at the time lol

4. also watch out for cockroaches....won't harm you but send a shiver down your spine when you step on one when you're not looking

2. im not answering that!

4. and dung beetles, plenty of them too. creppy crawlys in general!

I've been twice, once when I was very young and blonde so I got lots of attention and once at Christmas when I was of drinking age.

I don't remember much about the first trip but the second was 'different' - great hotel on the outskirts of Hammamet but not much to do other than take a scary taxi ride into town to buy knock off gear and leather while being annoyed by the locals wanting to sell crap rugs. They seem friendly enough but the constant hassle gets annoying after a while.

Expensive booze, weird local food and strange stuff to smoke out of large water-filled vases with hoses attached, the crisps come with a 2" deep layer of oil in the bottom of the bags and chocolate and whiskey cost a fortune.

They seemed to love to trade local goods for pens and my old man flogged a fairly average 35mm camera to a local guy for double what he paid in the UK - buy good whiskey on the trip out and you'll probably be able to swap it for a leather jacket (or something similar)

I wouldn't go again but now I'm older I'd probably appreciate the place a bit more - they run trips out into the Sahara for traditional meals under canvas, supposed to be worthwhile - we also went to Carthage but I didn't take as much interest as I should have. Tunis is an interesting day out for shopping.

I wish I'd seen things like El Jem and taken in more of the culture, I'm not sure if that's worth putting up with people trying to sell me things all the time though.... maybe when I mellow out a bit :)

Just check the local dresscodes for places you plan to visit so that you don't refused entry or upset anyone, they like the ladies covered up despite the fact they stare constantly.

Look, i know the smell of dough turns you all to snivelling fools but for Pete's sake (see what i did there) can we get back onto the topic please?

Tunisia is very hot so take protection.

protection? :blink:

the tunisian ones no good then? :D

ps

apologies to Pete, but would agree with Charlotte on that. it does get very hot out there so take 'protection'! also bear in mind the bugs, bartering etc....take in as much of the local culture as you can and you'll have a 'grate' time mate.