The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK spec question

Steviekid

I've been told there's 2 also :( One in the downpipe before the first cat then one in the second cat, hence the second decat pipes for the UK are different, I could be way off here though :(

Edited because I founds these two posts:

Post #17 http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=57957&page=2&highlight=sensor

Post #7 http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=61821&highlight=decat

They are not 2 oxygen sensors in the way that they are in a V8 (one per bank), or a Skyline (one for every three cylinders).

In these versions of the supra only one oxygen sensor is used by the ECU to cover all cylinders.

If you find evidence that the output of the second one is used in any meaningful way I'd be quite interested.

California versions for example use it to compare the mixture and ensure that the cats do their stuff.

Here if you stick a decat it doesn't blink - no ECU errors, nothing.

No, I think that much is apparent from the second one being half way down the car ;)

It definitely serves some purpose though (I forget what) - it's definitely better to have it in the exhaust flow than not, which is why Chris' decat pipes for UK-specs cater for it.

Edit: Ah, here's one thread talking about it: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=51897&highlight=sensor

I remember from people who had it hanging out in the open and then stuck it back in the exh flow that they felt there was no difference whatsoever (apart from the whole setup being more tidy of course)

I treat it like a half-way house to the USSpec, same as EGR.

In the USSpec there is also a sensor for the ECU to know if the EGR is indeed operational. If not, the ECU throws an error and uses a different ignition/fuel map.

The UKSpec hasn't got that level of functionality.

Nice thread that one.

Thankfully there are dyno graphs from the same operator, so we can make comparisons.

What strikes me is that they didn't pick up the reason they 'lost' the handful of lbfts (347 vs 354)

If you look closely you'll see that after the partial decat it was running 0.4 - 0.5 AFR richer. So it's no wonder it lost some torque (it was richer towards the wrong side of the max torque AFR)

That is roughly what gains you see as get as you go leaner under boost --- the closer to 13:1 the more power you pick up.

Now it takes nerves of steel to keep it at 13:1 under boost on purpose:blink: , so 12.5 is a safer level to aspire to (if you have lots of confidence into your intercooling and fuel quality). If not, 12:1 is safer yet and if you're not feeling lucky and use shite fuel then 11:1 gets you home. But as you distance yourself from 13:1 you lose horses, that's how it works.

I gained 20bhp at 0.9bar just by leaning 2 AFR points (10.5 ---> 12.5)

As for the second sensor I've had it on and off, no difference whatsoever. The wideband shows that the ECU doesn't behave any differently because of it.

If anyone has any evidence to the contrary, let's look deeper.