The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tom Tom advice

Kopite

I bought a 700 recently and am well impressed with it.

It has the hard drive in it with all the street level European maps already installed. It's Blue-tooth enabled and has phone nos etc. for all the points of interest (restaurants, garages etc) built in.

Well worth the extra £35!

:)

If it's the same database that was downloadable from GPSworld, then it includes mobile camera sites, red light cameras, specs, and everything else.

Obviously you'd need a snooper for "live" detection, the GPS tomtoms will only tell you a previously recorded camera site.

the new range of tom toms are about to hit the market (710 & 910).... the only real difference is the screen width.... but the tom tom 700 is a good buy... halfords are selling them at £340 area.

I've also recently bought one and the level of detail is impressive. It even has the full route of the Nurburgring on it in Germany ! ;)

The mobile speed camera detection units (snoopers etc.) are all a bit pointless IMO. If you're travelling into a zone where a copper has a rader pointed at you and you're travelling faster than the limit.... it will bleep...but the copper has already got your speed. Otherwise they are annoying due to the fact they are alerting you of automatic doors on shops etc.

What's it like in terms of accuracy Aaron? My mate's Navman got us to Manchester ok but then it couldn't find the actual postcode of where we wanted to go, it was directing us wrong because i knew where we were going and the way it suggested was an extra 10+ mins! You had any issues like that?

Its been fairly accurate over here in Cumbria so far.

I noticed one or two areas where a recent junction design is not showing on the satnav..... but Tom tom are releasing update maps sometime early summer this year.

Not sure if we'll have to pay for these updates or whether we can simply download and install.

The route it chooses depends on what priority you select. Either shortest route, fastest route, areas to avoid etc. etc.

I've recently had a look at a few sat navs over the past few weeks and the tom tom 700 seemed to be the best allround package for the money IMO.

Its a pitty nobody has yet desinged a head-up-display sat nav system.