The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broken Engine?

Steve W2

My car when started from cold on a cold morning seems to be behavingly oddly and am wondering WTF it is.

The revs increase and the turbos whistle at low RPM (upto 2500) but the speed doesn't pick up proportionally? It seems to rev alot quicker than it accelerates!

After about a minute or so it stops and everything is fine again. Last night when leaving work it did it and the slip control light was permanently on for about a minute too.

I do have the top section of the dash off at the moment so the light could be that? The 'engine slip' was present before the dash was ripped out though.

Any ideas, is my car going to blow up in a ball of flames? Will I be in it when it does?:eek:

If you are VERY VERY lucky it may be low auto box fluid (you dip it with the engine idling, in neutral). If it IS low, try topping it up, but before you do smell the fluid on the dipstick and look at a bit wiped onto the back of your hand. If it smells burnt and the fluid is brown, not a clear red, then the box is buggered. If it smells like fresh oil and is red and clear, top it up and cross your fingers. DO NOT DRIVE IT A YARD FURTHER as it is, you may just be able to save it if it's low fluid. Obviously find out where the leak is and fix it. Auto transmission cooler is a possible none obvious place for it to leak, it goes into the coolant, and vice versa sometimes.

i dont think steve has read this yet,but i saw steve driving his car home.Im pretty sure it was him as could tell by the bright blue Gas charge lights. What a look they give to the car!!! gotta get me some! And it was on wimborne Bypass, good luck mate and if need any help wit anything Send us PM and ill help ya out if i can.

Cheers for all the replys guys, well I think so anyway:(

The Auto box:eek: Fcuk me I've just sat down and got to my desk and did't need that kind of news.

I will check the level this morning to see if its low, fingers crossed.

WSB2 - Thanks for your help mate, didn't see you last night though:stupid:

Matt - All GZ are auto's:)

Will it be covered by my warranty or will they say "sorry mate just wore out"?

:angry:

Originally posted by lust2luv

Actually the specs page at mkiv.co.nz seems to suggest they are all autos. I guess no-one's really sure whether they have a GZ or an RZ with options.

:looney:

Mines a GZ, got proper leather front and back, think the RZ's have the plastic leather in the back.

You can check with chassis number on the NZ site.

Enough of this anyway, I've got a broken gearbox, WTF am I going to do.

Its ironic that I bought the Supra on its reliability as opposed to an RX7. :confused:

Okay, just gone and checked fluid levels, that is what the problem is.

The stuff that was on the dip cable was a light brown, not sure if it smelt burnt or not but guess it was if it was brown. Wiped it on my hand (made my skin feel smooth:D ) and couldn't see any bits in it.

It was very low though, I'm guessing it should be between the two lines on the upper metallic tab, it was only showing on the lower metallic tab!

What oil do I need to put in, haven't looked yet but where do I fill it up as well?

Will my gearbox be alright, the car still drives without any problem?

Thanks for your help so far guys.

Originally posted by Steve W2

Okay, just gone and checked fluid levels, that is what the problem is.

The stuff that was on the dip cable was a light brown, not sure if it smelt burnt or not but guess it was if it was brown. Wiped it on my hand (made my skin feel smooth:D ) and couldn't see any bits in it.

It was very low though, I'm guessing it should be between the two lines on the upper metallic tab, it was only showing on the lower metallic tab!

What oil do I need to put in, haven't looked yet but where do I fill it up as well?

Will my gearbox be alright, the car still drives without any problem?

Thanks for your help so far guys.

You MUST check levels with engine running, in Park or Neutral, there may be 2 levl marks, for hot and cold, as the fluid expands slightly when hot. If you are using the car put ANY Dexron type fluid in it until you can sort it, but it really should have Dexron IV. Any fluid is better than too low a level. The brown colour is discolouration from burnt brake bands and clutches in the auto box. Whether they ahve burnt enough to be buggered only time or a strip down can say. These friction facings are paper thin, and the heat involved in slippage due to low oil can either make them so thin as to be useless, or break up the adhesive bonding them to their steel backing plates, with the possibilty of future de bonding. You will never get all the old fluid out, as it hangs about in the torque convertor, but a couple of full flushes by someone that knows exactly what they are doing will help, if it proves to be salvageable. I know a good auto box man who will rebuild it if it IS buggered, but expect a 2 grand plus bill, as he won't entertain burnt up box rebuilds without a new convertor going in.

Just done a search and will phone Toyota up to get some T-IV ATF fluid.

I just realised as well that I did the check the box in P and not N with the engine running, does this make a difference?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignore the above just read Chris Wilsons post, am thoroughly pissed off now though.

2K for a rebuild, holy mother of god!

Please be ok, please be ok, please be ok, please be ok, please be ok, please be ok.............okay so I've stopped writing it but I will be saying it in my head for the rest of the day.:p

I will go to halfrauds and see if I can get some Dexron. The engine was running for a short period of time, but was also probably still warm from my drive to work. If so, am reading from the HOT tab, it is very low, there is about an inch between the two tabs and it was only reading on the bottom one.

ANY Dexron will do to test it, you'll be draining it anyway... Neutral and Park are the same as far as the hydraulics are concerned, either will do, maybe Park is slightly safer. If the fluid, hot or cold, is between the 2 marks or at the top one the box should work properly if it ever going to. To be honest, it's life will be severely compromised if the fluid has burnt lining in it... :(