The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spinning wheels on jacked up Supra with LSD

Angarak

Hi guys,

I think one of my rear wheel bearings are on the way out so I jacked up the rear to check them. There is no play in either wheel (top/bottom or side/side).

On my previous car (FWD Corolla gti) I was able to spin the rear wheels forward to see if the noise appeared when there was no obvious play in the wheel when jacked up.

I've noticed on my Supra that I cannot spin the wheels forward freely, is this due to my car having LSD?....or should I be able to spin the rear wheels freely when its jacked up.

Before you ask, yes I did have it in neutral and the handbrake was off. I can turn the wheels forward using some force, but they wont freely spin.

Cheers

This can also happen if your handbrake is adjusted so that you only have a couple of clicks movement on it AND you've jacked the car up on the body. (So that the rear suspension is fully extended.)

The handbrake cable is stretched slightly in reaching the hubs as they hang lower. This has the effect of pulling the handbrake on ever so slightly. If you place the car on axle stands under the lower wishbones, the suspension will be in its normal position, with the rear wheels up inside the arches. Then try spinning the wheels. If they spin freely then there's nothing wrong with your calipers.