The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyres - Peace of Mind!

JamesArup

Hi guys,

After hearing a dull *thudding* noise when moving at low speeds, and having noticed that my rear drivers side wheel was VERY low, I went to check the pressures this evening. After reading through some posts earlier, I knew I was looking for pressures around 32-36 ish. :innocent:

The fronts were't too bad .... Both around 28 or so ... so I took them up to 34. BUT ... the flat rear read LESS than 10 psi, and the other wasn't much better!! They didn't look much lower than the fronts though (apart from the one I knew was low). I wiggled the hose about a bit thinking that it wasn't connected properly ... but it still read below 10. I inflated both until the compressor read 20 psi ... then I got scared that I was over-inflating them, so I left it there :( . Some of the air that came out of the rear tyre smelt horrible, and I feel pretty ropey now because of it :blink:

Anyway ... driving the car afterwards, it felt much smoother on the road (although I had a horrible feeling that a tyre could explode at any point :conf: ) , and I could hear slight squeaking from the shocks every now and again ... presumably becuase the air made them a bit stiffer? Anyway ... sorry to go on, just a bit worried now. My tyres are the following: -

Front: Bridgestone Grid 2 - 245 / 40 / 18

Rear : Bridgestone Grid 2 - 275 / 35 / 18

Any ideas?

Cheers, J :cool:

I would take you car to a tyre place and get them to take the tyres off and inspect them.

When you let a tyre go flat and still run it, it runs on the side wall a little bit. They're not designed to do that, and what kinda happens is where the tread rolls up onto the side wall the interior surface of the tyre starts to come away. This could be very dangerous. You might be lucky. I wasn't and it cost me a new tyre. And then they put the wrong tyre on after being a day late. Rant rant rant. Enough to say, I'm never going to use Grove Street Tyres in Wantage again.

Hope that helps

Hmmm .. well the place where I inflated the tyres is at a dusty kind of farm. As I left I noticed that the tyre that I knew was a bit flat had dust/mud on the outside of the tyre wall, whereas the other rear tyre only had dust on the actual surface of the tyre. I am guessing that the dust/mud got there when the tyre was flat, as opposed to after I had re-inflated it?

Anyway ... I guess I had better go get them checked out (if I can figure out how to get the wheels off - Cashpoint knows what I mean :D ) . I also guess that if one needs changing, then they both will! Grrrr! :devil:

Actually ... while I am on the subject ... does anyone have Volks Racing wheels? I am looking at mine wondering how you get the wretched things off. Here is a link to a pic of the wheels: -

My Wheels

That 'VR' logo in the middle is just a kind of plastic 'jewel' that spins quite freely, but doesn't seem to come off. The metal section that it is mounted on is like a giant bolt, and then about an inch wider than that, the center of the wheel clearly comes off (and presumably gives access to the wheel nuts?). Anyone got any idea how I actually get to them though? My initial thinking is that the logo 'jewel' comes off to reveal a bolt that hold the whole centre of the wheel on. Then, once off, the wheel nuts are visible under the center section of the wheel? I don't want to start hacking away at them though without knowing what I am trying to do!

yeah, you should have a tool that fits around the hex bit in the centre to undo it, then it should pull out to show the studs, i had TSW imolas on my last car which are similar design to yours when getting to the wheel, and the crap plastic tool i had wasnt very good as the centre bits tighten up and it can be very hard to get the bolt off because the plastic bit cant do the job, then it can also be a job to get the it off once the bolt is off, should be a small gap around it somewhere to get a hook in and pull it off.

D'oh ... I was afraid you were going to say that. I looked all round the car for some kind of adapter/giant brace for that centre hex ... but couldn't find anything :mad: .

I think you are probably right though as it does look like like there are a few marks on it, as if it has been turned with a brace/spanner .... and there is a slight chip in the enamel on all the wheels where it looks like someone has been in with a screwdriver to prise the center section off. Maybe I will just take it into a tyre place and get them to sort it all ... but they will normally just hack away at it and make a mess of things :devil:

Cheers, J.