The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Matt Harwood ...Help?

dandan

Hi Matt,

Don't mean to keep bugging you about my alarm but it's starting to really annoy me now. My local Sextons (Gloucester) rang you yesterday (Friday) regarding the alarm. It's a Concept 300 which apparently has an anti tilt device fitted and (after someone in your sextons listened to the warning tone my car was making over the phone) an Omni sensor too.

I have found a sensor under the centre console "Clifford Proximity Sensor III". I thought this was the standard sensor to come with the 300 system and no the Omni sensor. However the chap at my Sextons said this is the sensor that needs adjusting to prevent unnecessary barks/warning tones. Is this correct or should I be trying to track down another sensor somewhere which is the Omni, and needs adjusting?

How exactly should the alarm behave? Totally quiet unless someone gets too close and then it barks? or bark only if car is knocked? Then when should actual alarm go off- really hard knock such as me kicking the back wheel (which it does!)

I've removed all metal and phone etc from centre console but still get problems. Not all the time though, usually in bad weather or when near trees. However one thing that does concern me is that I can get warning tone/bark when park in open space on nice day when just finished going for a drive ie car is hot. This cariies on for 5-10 mins and alarm siren may then go off too!

Sorry to bother you Matt, but can you give me any pointers as my Sextons bloke didn't initially fill me with confidence.

Thanks

Dan

Originally posted by dandan

Hi Matt,

Don't mean to keep bugging you about my alarm but it's starting to really annoy me now. My local Sextons (Gloucester) rang you yesterday (Friday) regarding the alarm. It's a Concept 300 which apparently has an anti tilt device fitted and (after someone in your sextons listened to the warning tone my car was making over the phone) an Omni sensor too.

I have found a sensor under the centre console "Clifford Proximity Sensor III". I thought this was the standard sensor to come with the 300 system and no the Omni sensor. However the chap at my Sextons said this is the sensor that needs adjusting to prevent unnecessary barks/warning tones. Is this correct or should I be trying to track down another sensor somewhere which is the Omni, and needs adjusting?

How exactly should the alarm behave? Totally quiet unless someone gets too close and then it barks? or bark only if car is knocked? Then when should actual alarm go off- really hard knock such as me kicking the back wheel (which it does!)

I've removed all metal and phone etc from centre console but still get problems. Not all the time though, usually in bad weather or when near trees. However one thing that does concern me is that I can get warning tone/bark when park in open space on nice day when just finished going for a drive ie car is hot. This cariies on for 5-10 mins and alarm siren may then go off too!

Sorry to bother you Matt, but can you give me any pointers as my Sextons bloke didn't initially fill me with confidence.

Thanks

Dan

Give Matt a ring

In fairness, Tony Green at Gloucester, doesn't really have much dealing with Clifford systems.

The barking noise you are getting is either a dual zone shock sensor or dual zone proximity sensor.

The proximity sensor III that you've found is the standard C300 item and cannot give warning tones unless its been wired up completely wrong, (which would be difficult as it's a plug in item!)

The shock sensors location could be anywhere. However, it has to me mounted to something structural. Usual places for this would be under the dash area or behind the radio dash sections somewhere.

Depending on which sensor you have fitted, it may be remotely adjustable. (Check the instruction manual), failing that, it's manually adjustable and you will need to physically find it.

If you can find the control unit, there will be a 5 wire loom with a Red, Black, Green, Orange and blue wire coming from it. Follow this loom back and you'll find your sensor.... Or cut the blue wire. This blue wire is the outer zone trigger wire.

Or, a trip to Maidstone? :D

You can call me on 01622 683044...

Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply Matt,

I'll have a hunt round and try to track down this "extra" sensor and also see if i can find the control box. Apparently the car had an antitilt/jack device fitted, this couldn't be causing the problem could it?

Are the sensors ok when exposed to underbonnet heat Matt? I ask as I do get problems sometimes when car's hot and wondered if it could be heat related.

I'll get looking (after I find out above getting behind dash!!) and keep you posted.

Thanks Matt

There's loads of threads about dash removal in the ICE section on here.

The Tilt and Motion sensor wont be causing the problem as they only trigger a full alarm condition, not a warning tone.

The sensors aren't strictly related to heat although the metal contraction vibrations after a spirited run could cause an over sensitive sensor at trigger.

Ok thanks Matt,

Had all the dash out (found a Pivot shift lamp system and speed limiter and display system!!) and a few Clifford bits too.

The 5 wire loom(red, black, green, blue,orange) comes out of the control unit and to the Clifford Digital Tilt/Motion Sensor and nowhere else. No spliced wires to others sensors, only this one. I also found the Extended Range Receiver and the Proximity Sensor III.

The blue wire went nowhere else except from control unit to Tilt/Motion sensor. I rang you today and spoke to one of your colleagues and he said the Motion sensor would cause the barking and that it is self adjusting. I have now moved it to a "easier" more reachable location in case i need to get at it again.

Any ideas as to why i'm getting this barking and some false alarms? He said it'll either be that sensor or a faulty control unit. What do you think?

The proximity sensor has a red led and some sort of potentiometer on it, can this reduce sensitivity of the troublesome sensor?? It's a bit of a mystery to me at the moment and my next step after hearing back from you is to cut the blue wire to eliminate a possible faulty sensor.

Thanks again Matt!