The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting !

Paul

That would be my first action if I had the same problem. It will then take a few miles for the ECU to adjust again. It would probably sort itself out anyway, but this should speed it up.

EFI fuses, it show where they are on the lid. If that does not fix it, you should see if you have engine fault codes stored.

Maybe your fuel system isn't priming itself properly when you switch off, or maybe you have an injector not quite closing and leaking the fuel pressure out?

Sounds like it's trying to start with no fuel in the lines between tank and fuel rail - takes a few seconds to repressurise from this condition. Turning on the ignition and waiting will also prime the fuel system, which may explain your success when doing this.

-Ian

Thanks Ian, that sounds reasonable. So when you turn off it should shut down leaving fuel still up where it's needed for the re-start? I guess it's not a massive problem if the method I used earlier works. Just wait a few seconds for it to prime with fuel then start.

Paul

I think between all of us we're talking about a few different problems:

1. Starting after leaving for less than a few hours - hot starting

2. Starting after leaving for up to a day or overnight

3. Starting after not driving the car for a long period of time eg a week or so

All three may well be similar problems such related to a lack of fuel in the rail, which may be due to evaporation or injector not closing as ian suggested.

Mine is as case no.3 as it always starts perfectly when driven more often than once a week. I only ever get a problem when cars been left standing for a long time. I doubt this could be either of the above reasons as evaporation or injector symptom would cause a problem in daily starting-but it doesn't.

Strange eh? Maybe it's ignition related?