The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clinical trials go wrong

Supragal

I think that if it's proven that the companies didn't follow proper procedure (eg animal testing etc first) then they are within their rights to sue because the company has been negligent. Personally I'd be very tempted by 2k for taking what in all likelyhood could be a placebo or harmless pill, if I was short of cash. I feel very sorry for all of them and especially the families / friends.

Regardless of the volunteer's motives, medicine would be much further behind today if it wasn't for people putting themselves at risk for medical trials.

Apologies if this has already been said, didnt' bother to read the whole thread. :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're stupid enough to allow yourself to be given an unknown drug for £2000, and you die, you're just raising the average intelligence level of the population.

spot on - totally agree with this!

I'm sure they wouldn't be complaining if the side effects were a longer dick or bigger tits ;)

I'd be complaining if thje side effects were bigger tits!

on a serious note though... I don't think they will stand a hope in hell of suing. The waivers will be water tight.

I sure when they signed the forms it probably didn't say side effects may include mutiple organ failure and possible death. Which means they are well within rights to sue

I wonder if people who have severe reactions to 'recreational' drugs (like Leah Betts) can sue the pusher if they survive?

I sure when they signed the forms it probably didn't say side effects may include mutiple organ failure and possible death.

I bet it did!!! They wouldn't take any chances surely? Good grief, they say that to everyone even when they give them paracetamol now just to be sure ;)

Just read some of those comments at the bottom of the sun article. Honestly, some of it really winds me up, it's like people walk around with their eyes half shut. Effectvely they are calling for a ban on all pharmaceuticals. Ok, fine, but imagine it? Seriously, just imagine it. How would removing every form of painkiller not be human & animal cruelty? Basically they want to live in the dark ages where a broken leg is likely to mean death. :rolleyes:

I hope they remember their comments if they or a member of their family are taken seriously ill. Or even next time they pop an ibuprofen. Or even are diagnosed with a mental heath issue that can be treated, or their child has ADD or when they take their contraceptive pill each morning.

The drug would have never been approved for first human does if the necessary lab tests had not been completed. If that is the case then, ok, they are in for some BIG trouble.

So it's a high profit industry... not for long the FDA now limits the profit that can be made. Sure it's a rush to get drugs onto the market but when you say 'rush' it takes something ridiculous like 10 years to get a drug from discovery to the market. One in every billion molecule or something is a success, and scientists are expensive because they are very clever people!!!

Radio 1 this morning said the company were "devastated" of course they are! They didn't want this or expect this to happen, it's the last thing they wanted, they are discovering these drugs to SAVE and IMPROVE lives. This is such a rare occurance, it's a shame the industry is getting tarred for it.

I think (but I am by no means an expert) that they will be able to sue should the drug be found to have been contaminated during manufacture or the wrong dosage given during the trials. If that is not the case and their reaction really was a completely unforeseen occurance then I cannot believe the drug company would not have covered every possible eventuallity in their pre treatment waiver form.

As for those who are hailing these people as heroes for risking their bodies in the pursuit of medical advancement, you really need to take a reality pill. These people thought nothing of medical advancement. It was the £2000 cash payment that persuaded them to do this - no more, no less. In saying that, I can still feel sympathy for them and their families as nobody could have foreseen the tragic outcome.

I guess it is down to what someone said earlier - you pays your money (or in this case takes your money) and you takes your chance.

It can pay very well. My friend and his girlfriend have both been injected with an anthrax strain to try to find medical cures for soldiers... they have accumulated over £7000 between them for one injection each. Not bad money...

WHAT!!!!!!!!!

£7 grand, BETWEEN THEM, to be given Anthrax :shock:

They must be fcuking mad. Talk about one born every minute :banghead:

I honestly don't think I'd do it for £7 million.

What good is money if you don't have your health to be able to spend it :(

If it correct, as someone pointed out earlier, that they should have been given it one by one, and not all six at once, then at least five of them have a case against the company, as they would have been in possession of additional risk information after the first person reacted badly to it and could thus amend their decision.

I don't know, but surely thats not true? Surely they would want everything done at the exact same time, to be sure of really accurate result?

Also, if that is the way it's done I can't see a huge pharma company making that kind of mistake? Setting up those trials costs lots and it's not like they've not done it before.

Just read some of those comments at the bottom of the sun article. Honestly, some of it really winds me up, it's like people walk around with their eyes half shut. Effectvely they are calling for a ban on all pharmaceuticals. Ok, fine, but imagine it? Seriously, just imagine it. How would removing every form of painkiller not be human & animal cruelty? Basically they want to live in the dark ages where a broken leg is likely to mean death. :rolleyes:

Zoe works in the NHS, and they have to inform patients (cancer) if the drugs they are supplying have changed since last usage - these are changes in the percentages of the ingredients - nothing new going in and nothing majorly changing - and now people are refusing treatment because of it!!!!!

Rosie, you seem totally convinced that the pharma company has done everything totally and utterly by the book. But questions are now being asked if the required amount of testing was carried out prior to commencing human trials.

I wouldn't trust any business to stay 100% within the rules when getting stuff on sale ASAP means more money to them.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if a few corners were cut.

2000 for the test , would have then been spent on theyre own drug research.

no sympathy from me

Pretty assumptive and final statement that Pete, bit like the old, "Black man robbed my grandmother, therefore all black men are robbers." (no offense meant to anyone here)..i.e. all students are druggies.

So next time you lose it when you are tanking down some country lane, lose it, do £££ worth of damage and then come on here and tell us, we can all say "No sympathy from me"......

2000 for the test , would have then been spent on theyre own drug research.

no sympathy from me

Generalisation anyone? When the average student (by the way that's your future doctors, lawyers etc) leaves university in tens of thousands of pounds in debt it's no wonder some of them go to drastic measures to keep the hopes of their future career alive.

And the Sun is a good indication of most things wrong with this country! Pile of trouble stirring bulls**t.

did i say all students , no you did

Yes, but you did say (using different words):

Students who volunteer for drug tests = students who take drugs = deserve to die............

And as for:

"and as for tanking my car down a country lane i dont think so"

LOL. The other one's got bells on......:p

andrew7 , i dont know for how long youve had a supra , or even if you have a supra .

checkout my joining date , plus my mkiii for five years before , so in nearly ten years of owning quite fast cars i still have full ncb , because i dont drive like a nob, which i think you were insinuating .

and as for the student thing , dont put words in my mouth :)

I dont feel sorry for them either, i mean isnt that the point of the trails to see what happens? now they know it doesnt work. I go to university next to northwick park hospital and im 99% sure 2 weeks ago if they offered any of the students there 2k for some testing they would have jumped at it and im sure they would now. I hope they get better but i dont feel sorry for them as thats what happens when you sign up for these tests.

andrew7 , i dont know for how long youve had a supra , or even if you have a supra .

checkout my joining date , plus my mkiii for five years before , so in nearly ten years of owning quite fast cars i still have full ncb , because i dont drive like a nob, which i think you were insinuating .

and as for the student thing , dont put words in my mouth :)

I don't have a Supra......

I was not insinuating you drive like a nob either. I was saying that IF you were unfortunate enough to run off the road and damage your car..............