The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Second turbo is being pathetic!

chris_bramley

The car is back together, and works very smoothly, bar one problem... the second turbo doesn't seem to have much punch for some reason.

the first one boosts to about .8 bar, and when the second comes in it drops to .5 bar... I'm sure it should rise from .8 to 1.1!

It's very unlikely to be boost leak from hoses as we recently reassembled the engine so all hoses were replaced and checked... any ideas? it seems that I can hear it spin up and so on, but just seems to be no power from it.

:search:

one of my vsv pipes had come off one day, i had no 2nd trub at all.... mine came off @... u know where the rail of pipe go over the top of the turbo's, if you follow it towrds the front of the engine, it goes down, the little pipe had come off mine, it goes directly to the valve that opens when the 2nd turb comes in. Hope this helps..

....the first one boosts to about .8 bar, and when the second comes in it drops to .5 bar... I'm sure it should rise from .8 to 1.1!...

Most probably turbo#2 doesn't come into play fully.

I'd first check the hoses around the VSVs that control the EGCV and IACV

Hmmm.

I've found the IACV VSV had the hoses on the wrong way and swapped em, and the turbo seem to come in, I think - it doesn't seem to judder and the first one doesn't sound too mental any more, and there;s more power.

BUT I feel no lag (is this right? I used to between turbos!) and it is still only boosting to 0.5, 0.6 bar :s I've checked allll the hoses and they all SEEM to be on right, they're all pretty new so no leaks or splits.

I've tried taking the EVC long hose off the pressure tank and fiddling with all the hoses I can find, to no avail - I still get low boost and it doesn't seem to be on full power :s

any ideas? I've checked all through the troubleshooter in the FAQ...

• 1 month later...

Mate, I had the same problem, thought I had no no.2, until cleaning one day I noticed a small hose off (the one Im holding), put this back on which connects below underneath the front and no.2 was back, but before was going from .8 to .5, so I would suggest you still have a hose issue somewhere....

12042006a.JPG