The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'm scared.

tbourner

Haven't driven the Supe for about 2 weeks, went out today, checked oil and fluids, started it.

It started straight away, but was really lumpy and there was a lot of black smoke coming out the exhaust.

I'm fearing the worst.

Should I try and start it again? Leave it running for a bit? :help:

It was fine when I left it 2 weeks ago - how can sitting for 2 weeks do that!

TBH the bad running does feel like a misfire though - blown seals would idle ok wouldn't they? (please!!).

Turbo seals, I'm afraid :(

They always blow when you don't drive it for 2 weeks ;)

It just needs a run :D Just don't thrash the arse off it until its warmed up thoroughly

Personally I'd try to run it at a fairly fast idle (2000 rpm) and see if it cleared itself. You've got no cats to damage so it's got to be worth a go.

If not whip the plugs out and clean them if you like, but for the cost of a new set I'd replace them if I'd gone to the bother of taking the old ones out.

Petrol especially high grade fuel starts to lose its octane. After 2 weeks 97 ron is quite pants. If its sat in the garages tank for nearly a fortnight and then in yours for well over 2 weeks it'll be right crap. Get yourself a tank top up of decent fuel and all should be OK. It won't hurt popping the plugs out and giving them a clean but watch those little white plastic jobbers in the plug bit that goes onto the coil pack (nice technical term huh)

Right then!

The tank was almost empty anyway because I knew the fuel wouldn't be very good when I next came to use it, so went and got some 99 with a can - filled it up (well - 10 liters or so), started with a bit of black smoke but cleared up almost straight away.

Took it out, down the motorway, around town, back home.

Went out in the evening in it just down the road and back. Thought it sounded louder as we got home, back of the mind I thought it was overfuelling not sure why!!

This morning, started ok, half way down the road started misfiring exactly the same as it was over Christmas. I'd sorted this issue a while back by taking the plugs out and regapping them all (2 of them were TINY gaps!).

SO; what causes overfuelling (I need to measure the O2 reading when I get in)? Would that foul the plugs and cause this issue again with the misfire? Should I just buy some new plugs and hope it all goes away!?

From searching it seems overfuelling is the only thing that would cause bad idle but reasonably good running otherwise.

Although when it runs it does feel slightly odd and on overrun this morning I had a backfire!! Other than that it boosts ok and revs normally - just idle is lumpy.

Suggestions?

Check your narrowband O2 sensor as described here. That'll tell you if you are overfuelling in closed loop. This can cause a bad idle with a propensity to stall, and that stalling issue can give the overrun a sharper deceleration and a chuggier quality.

-Ian