The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Leaving your car running when you aren't in it

Digsy

That's odd because I remember my old insurance company telling me it wasn't covered if I had a timer fitted, let alone used it!

Insurance companies can (and do) apply many policies that are not necessarily LAW. i.e. they can impose conditions to your policy under which they could refuse to pay out a claim to you. (But not a 3rd party claim)

Re. the offence of Quitting, the policy when I was in the Police here in Norfolk was always that they recommended we give a verbal warning for leaving the engine runing if the parking brake was applied. However, if the engine was running AND the parking brake off - prosecute.

I left mine running (using intellistart) outside domino pizza one night while i went in 2 collect the grub.THEN 2 coppers came in and said is that ur car outside, so i said yes and he said it was illegal to leave it running and normally they drive round the corner in it to scare the owner!!

When i waved the keys at him he said that was ok but asked me if it could be driven. Then i pressed the button,locked the doors and the mirrors folded in.No i replied as u cant get in.

Thats ok then he said as he walked off.The other copper was well impressed and smiled at me as he joined his mate.

:D made i and the mrs laugh!!