The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Leaving your car running when you aren't in it

Digsy

Asking on behalf of a mate.

I was under the impression that it was illegal to leave your car running if you were not inside it i.e. when de-icing the screen). Does anyone know for certain is this is the case or not, and if so does it apply to when the car is on your own driveway as oppose dto the public highway?

TIA.

Guest SteveW's Carole

Not sure about the legal implications on this matter is but I do know that if your car is stolen while you are "warming" it up or de- icing it and your car is left unattended you aren't covered by your insurance company if it gets "nicked"!!!!! :(

it is illegal by i am sure its a by-law and is dependent on area to area, just like the law for coloured bulbs they are legal in some areas and illegal in others

but is a policeman really going to pull you for that? but of a silly question but again we do have quite a lot of silly ego hungry policemen

Found this :

Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.

Regulation 98 provides that, except in specified circumstances, the driver

of a vehicle must stop the engine when the vehicle is stationary in order to

prevent noise.

Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 1998

amends that provision so as to add the prevention of exhaust emissions

as a reason for stopping the engine.

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1998/19980001.htm

Not sure about the legal implications on this matter is but I do know that if your car is stolen while you are "warming" it up or de- icing it and your car is left unattended you aren't covered by your insurance company if it gets "nicked"!!!!! :(

If someone steals mine they are welcome to it!!!

Ok the definitive answer:

The offence is described as QUITTING:

It is an offence to leave a motor vehicle on a road unless both the engine has been stopped and the brake set (hand brake)

Cont to reg 107 of Construction and Use Regulations.

There is also another offence of not stopping and engine of a vehicle or part of a vehicle for the prevention of noise or emissions.

Reg 98 Const. & Use regs.

HOWEVER it is a very popular method for car theives to take vehicles off driveways whilst the car is being warmed up. If you are going to do it on your drive, use your turbo timer. Always be by your car. Because you'll have a hard time getting a payout from your insurers because you left your keys in the car with the engine running unattended!

HTH

addendum

Regulation 98 does NOT apply when you are stopped in traffic.

Its primary function is to deal with coaches lorries etc parked up with their engines running.

Also turbo timers SHOULD be wired in so that you cannot lock your car, and if the clutch is pressed or the handbrake is depressed or a gear is engaged the engine should stop. They are not illegal in themselves seeing as some vehicles have them fitted as standard.

Guest chiefvinso

So you get in your car and start it to find a parking ticket or leaflet that you hadnt noticed then you have to turn car off and get out to take away the thing on your screen and then restart which uses more fuel?

So you get in your car and start it to find a parking ticket or leaflet that you hadnt noticed then you have to turn car off and get out to take away the thing on your screen and then restart which uses more fuel?

There's always one!!!! Lol!

I think perhaps a degree of common sense would be called for.

I forgot to mention, that if there is a passenger in the car and the engine is left running they must be licensed to drive the car.

I think in 14yrs of my career I've given out a ticket for quitting once!

We had a 20k Transit pinched last year. The driver left it running at the goods inwards of a big company in Wednesbury, walked to the front of the van to get something signed and someone jumped in it and drove off. Never saw it again.

Its at a 'director level' with the insurance company, but I don't expect we'll get anything.

....turbo timers .... are not illegal in themselves ....

Thank you! I'm bookmarking this thread.

I've had this "discussion" (well, argument, really :)) on several other forums, and people will not accept that it's not turbo timers which are illegal, but the act of leaving the car unattended with the engine running.

Guest chiefvinso

Dont know about the hoax, but sometimes you just get in your car in a rush and start so you dont see this little card for valetting! I aint going to turn the car off and if a cop has a go I'll tell him to chill as the tubbies are getting their oil! What if you are half in and out! lol