The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Did Toyota do my Alignment right?

weinelm

The local Toyota garage did my wheel alignment last year. I'm wondering whether to go back to them this year after I've changed my suspension bushes? Printouts from last year attached. Coloured pictures and numbers... all look very nice. But I don't really know what I'm looking at! :blink:

Do they know what they're doing?

05 Alignment1.jpg

05 Alignment2.jpg

The correct setting vary, dependingb on tyre size, intended usage, spring rates, arb's fitted, blah blah. Just as there is no de facto tyre pressure for ALL tyres, so there is no de facto geo setting. The settings I un on my suspension kit would be inappropriate on perhaps another set up. Not much help am i? I ALWAYS put a lot more caster in though, than that. The rear negative will wear the inside tyre edges like hell. Too much for even a track day setting.

So, is it possible to adjust caster on the Supra? I just can't figure out how you might tilt the strust forward/backward, considering that the top mount is fixed and the wishbones don't move forward/back, do they??

Curious..

Yes. The car doesn't have struts. The spring / damper angle is irrelevant to the castor angle, it's not a McPherson strut set up. The top mount position is irrelevant for the same reason. The wishbones will move forward and back.

Should only be called a strut when it's a McPherson strut, IMO.

Furry muff :) I just heard it referred to as a strut once before and it kind of stuck. So, having just looked up McPherson struts on wikipedia.org, I now understand. I had somehow thought that a McPherson strut setup was something good, but it seems the double wishbone is far superior for sports cars :thumbs:

Thanks for all the info guys.

The correct setting vary, dependingb on tyre size, intended usage, spring rates, arb's fitted, blah blah. Just as there is no de facto tyre pressure for ALL tyres, so there is no de facto geo setting. The settings I un on my suspension kit would be inappropriate on perhaps another set up. Not much help am i? I ALWAYS put a lot more caster in though, than that. The rear negative will wear the inside tyre edges like hell. Too much for even a track day setting.

Yep edges on my last set of rear tyres were completely gone! That aligment was done with a completely stock suspension too. Now I've got Bilsteins on it's time to get it sorted properly I think!