The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another travesty of justice...

Alex

Unfortunately the question should be ''What are the politicians on?".

The judges hands are tied if they can't prove 'Dangerous Driving'. Then it comes down to 'Careless Driving'. At the moment there is no specified offence of 'Death by Careless Driving' as there is in the case of Dangerous Driving. Careless Driving, (whether or not it involves a death) as stated in the BBC article doesn't attract a custodial sentence.

A bill was tabled last October to make a new offence of Death by Careless, but until the politicians talk it over for a year or two this is what we're faced with.

Crazy isn't it? This should have been sorted out years ago.

Glad you've pointed that out Soop....I know the magistrate in my family has his hands tied by the law a lot of the time...

It's the govt.s fault as per usual. But don't worry they'll make sure we all have ID cards and speeding fines before sorting this out!!

You opened with something like "the politicians haven't created the laws for judges to use"

Think you will find it's the numpty politicians and the do-gooders that have taken the laws away.........

Firm deterrents is what is needed...

Take a life in cold blood - ie murder - expect your life to be taken from you when caught.

Life should mean exactly that LIFE...

Prison should be just that - a cell four walls and bugger all else - don't want to do the time don't commit the crime.

Kill a child through reckless driving, no licence insurance etc, in my mind is murder.

Accepted accidents do happen, but in this case he knew he shouldn't have been behind that wheel.

He may as well have shot the poor child.

What would he have got for that?

Also, I hate to bring this into the equation - but is there a political agenda coming in to play here - in light of recent events with certain ethnic groups, just a thought...

Bit of devil's advocate here (before anyone flames me, I believe that this guy is PROBABLY guilty of Causing Death By Dangerous Driving):

Is there anything that says he was driving dangerously or, in fact, even carelessly at the time when he hit the girl?

As far as I'm concerned, Driving Carelessly, Driving W/O Insurance, Not Stopping For An Accident should be heinous enough crimes to lock him up for a long time anyway, but I haven't seen anything in these reports that says that he was DEFINITELY guilty of causing death by dangerous driving? Presumably the mother was a witness, but she would presumably be biased. Were there any other witnesses?

But surely if he gets found guilt of theift, driving with no licencee, no insurance and the rest they could be tottalled up to a longer time away.

Precisely. The death you can't be sure about, but if it was up to me, I'd lock him up for life for these crimes alone. Especially as he was on parole already! 12 weeks is ridiculous!

No one's mentioned it yet, so the following will only anger you more. A man who stole a teddy bear from the shrine to the little girl @ the accident spot was jailed for 3 months!!

So, its a lesser crime to kill a kid in a stolen car with no licence or insurance than it is to steal a teddy bear. Those of you with "David Banner" Syndrome may want to go put some baggy clothes on before its too late!

(Im not saying the thief got a hard punishment - just highlighting he got more jail time than that tw*t Mohammed Hussain.)

No one's mentioned it yet, so the following will only anger you more. A man who stole a teddy bear from the shrine to the little girl @ the accident spot was jailed for 3 months!!

So, its a lesser crime to kill a kid in a stolen car with no licence or insurance than it is to steal a teddy bear. Those of you with "David Banner" Syndrome may want to go put some baggy clothes on before its too late!

(Im not saying the thief got a hard punishment - just highlighting he got more jail time than that tw*t Mohammed Hussain.)

:faint:

/me looks at emigrating somewhere where justice is served

Mike