The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DIY Plug Change

Supraguy

Need some quick advice. If I can get my plugs changed before Pod, I think I will give the 1/4 a go. But, I am a bit worried after reading about the PCV hoses breaking while changing. I am just curious if this is a common problem and I should worry about it? I dont want to go and break one days before Pod and be screwed for the weekend without replacements.

That said, does anyone know if Toyota stock these regularly or would it be a specially ordered item? Also, any advice outside the MIV Tech article to get the job done?

Thanks!

When I did plugs for the first time it took 2.5 bloody hours! I had to struggle for 10 minutes to get one of the hoses off, I couldn't get the other one at all. I then sheered off one of the bolts holding down the resister pack when putting it all back together. And finally it took me nearly 20 minutes to get that hose back on again... with a lot of sweat and swearing! You've been warned!

I have changed my plugs a couple of times now without any real issues, the hoses can be a bit of a pig but use some grips and some folded paper and job done :cool:

Mind the coil pack at the back of the engine, could be a real pita if you dropped the bolt holding the back down

:thumbs:

Hi Guys,

I did my plugs about a month ago but don't remember have any probs with any hoses, or even touching any! Am i missing something?

I did struggle with one of the screws though and nearly rounded the head off, then took a bit of confidence to pull up firmly enough to get coils off! :)

I keep a spare set of hoses for plug changes. Last time I did my plugs the hoses were much stiffer than before. There are easier to get off if done hot. I put the new ones on as the old ones were showing signs of stress when being bent into position. It is a 20 - 30 minute job when it all goes smoothly.

Fm mkiv,com

- Also buy 2 crankcase hoses, Toyota part number 12263-46010 & 12264-46010 (if needed), if you have not replaced your hoses in a long time, chances are you going to have a hardened crankcase hoses that will get damaged on removal, its always a good idea to save new ones just in case you need them one day.

Remove the two crankcase vent hoses that run between the valve covers. if they are hard to come off, clamp them in the middle with pliers and twist the hose.

I had to use a knife to cut the hoses off. New hoses cost £14.14 and use the pliers bit, works a treat.

supra tt.jpg