The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Breather Question?

Tricky-Ricky

OK I've been doing a bit of searching, and I have read all the various comments about the breathing system on a Supra and come to the conclusion that apart from the actual breathers being a bit on the small side, I can see no reason why I can't treat it just like any other turbocharged engine, and run a vent to air catch tank breather system, I also can't see a reason for blocking off the intakes and using both cam cover breathers, there is a pressure equaliser between the camcover and sump, so no problems there, I read all the bits about the engine not being able to vent without vacuum assistance? and I'm afraid unless there is something vastly different about the Supra engine, I can't see why it should be treated any different from say a Skyline or 200sx motor which hate to be under breathed when power is upped! I also have never had any problems with any engines sucking anything in through the breather system when vented to air! providing that there is a sensible set up, and the pipework is adequate and the vent from the catch tank is long enough and routed properly!

From what I have read about the amount of oil that seems to get sucked into the intake and discharged from dump valves, it certainly sounds like there is a strong vacuum effect from the intake! anyway once I have had my Supra for a while and had a bit of time to investigate further I'll let you know my results.:)

If your intention is to increase the capacity of the system under full load, then your best bet is to get the camcover off and drill another hole mimicking the one on the driver's side (going to the intake)

Then you could route both of these to a catch tank and from there to the intake.

This way you keep what is already there, and increase the volume without diverging from the spirit of the original design.

Primarily my idea apart from increasing the capacity of the system and equalizing pressure/vacuum, is to reduce/eliminate the amount of extra oil burned by the engine, which only serves to increase the amount of hydrocarbons emitted, which in turn reduces power, helps kill the cat sooner, or makes it much harder to pass an MOT emissions test.

Primarily my idea apart from increasing the capacity of the system and equalizing pressure/vacuum,.

I'm not sure what this 'equalisation' would be, or what it would be meant to achieve

I'm not even aware of the capacity of the system being inadequate under high load.

Without measurements it's pure speculation.

is to reduce/eliminate the amount of extra oil burned by the engine, .

a proper catch tank would do that nicely, if you don't want to tackle the issue at source (piston rings usually)

which only serves to increase the amount of hydrocarbons emitted, which in turn reduces power, helps kill the cat sooner, or makes it much harder to pass an MOT emissions test.

I have no data regarding cat damage from this. Running too rich or too lean can be damaging to the cats, not sure how some oil mist affects them in real life.

Some believe that cats are best stored away from the engine, in sealed containers where they can await their MOT fresh and relaxed:D

I wasn't talking about a stock system, i know lots of people running catch tanks and vent to atmosphere system on high power 200sx and several people running the same on high power Skylines, can't see a reason not to, if the tank and pipework is of adequate size to allow for pressure/vacuumed equalisation, and you get the oil vapour and water vapour drop out in the tank, I suppose it more environmentally friendly to pipe it back to the intake system, but against decatting its probably the lesser of the two.

LOL, Dave's idea was about in the 70's so Iwouldnt have thought you were! OH dear!:taped:

The 2jz and RB26 were both designed to acheive massive power. Speak to the F1 teams and see what they run. Tlicence will help.

OK Like i said i'm not playing who know best! guess i picked the wrong people to exchange ideas with, your not discussing, your preaching! :)

I wasn't talking about a stock system,

why, is it an issue, the fact that it works?

i know lots of people running catch tanks and vent to atmosphere system on high power 200sx and several people running the same on high power Skylines, can't see a reason not to,

well I can, and so will you, once you open up your eyes and do some research.

The 'herd' argument is like:

"Millions of flies can't be wrong, you too are eating shite";)

if the tank and pipework is of adequate size to allow for pressure/vacuumed equalisation, and you get the oil vapour and water vapour drop out in the tank, I suppose it more environmentally friendly to pipe it back to the intake system, but against decatting its probably the lesser of the two.

Why don't you first investigate how the whole system works and then decide how to change it?

I take it you are familiar with PCV right?

why, is it an issue, the fact that it works?

DID I SAY IT WAS AN ISSUE?

well I can, and so will you, once you open up your eyes and do some research.

The 'herd' argument is like:

"Millions of flies can't be wrong, you too are eating shite";)

Why don't you first investigate how the whole system works and then decide how to change it?

I take it you are familiar with PCV right?[/quote

I did and it looks pretty similar to a lot of others!

I really don't see any point in going any further with this as I seems some of you guys are such experts! and know far better than anybody else! and just talk down to anyone who throws up a few ideas and questions! and so far the best you can come up with is that Toyota made it that way! leave it alone you don't know what your doing! well I thought people on here might have a better attitude, oh well!

I really don't see any point in going any further with this as I seems some of you guys are such experts!

touchy-touchy are we? :D

..and so far the best you can come up with is that Toyota made it that way! leave it alone you don't know what your doing!

Not exactly, what was said was that you should first find out *why* and *how* Toyota did it, before trying to "improve" on it.

It's easy to make a dog's dinner if you jump and start to run before you learn how to walk (or crawl, as the case may be).

...well I thought people on here might have a better attitude, oh well!

Oh the irony, true statement, couldn't have put it better myself.:cool: