The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clifford Concept 600 Chirping Noise

dandan

Anyone shed any light on this for me? .......

Sometimes (not that often) when I park up my car and leave it sat there with alarm set it emits a real harsh, abrupt chirping sound. It sounds like some sort of warning but is quite loud and embrassing when it happens if parked outside an office or similar.

It makes the noise every couple of minutes until i deactivate or "valet mode" the alarm.

Any ideas???

Sorry people, it's a 300 !!!

Does that make a difference or could it be the same thing?

Does the 300 have this too?

But why would it do it if parked still with nothing moving around the car, ie on my driveway or carpark at work with noone walking close or anything?

There's no reason the 300 should do this, unless you have either the dual zone shock, or dual zone proximity sensor as an optional extra...

Just in case you do have the dual zone Proximity sensor, make sure that you have nothing metalic in your centre console, and don't leave your mobile phone in the car.

The sensor, (if its there), will probably be mounted under the console, and they really don't like having metalic objects in the line of sight. Tha includes, keys, cassettes, CD's, Polo wrappers, coins, screws etc...

Let me know how you get on..

Hi Matt,

As far as I know (i bought car and it had alarm fitted by previous owner) the only extra is an anti tilt device as the chap was a bit worried about his wheels.

This noise, as i say, is quite short, sharp and abrupt. It is nothing like the beep beep sound of arming/disarming and nothing like the sound of the alarm going off. It is fairly loud and does sound (to me) like some sort of warning.

I'm pretty sure that there's never been anything metal in the centre pocket when it makes this noise, and ther times i've had my phone in there,parked up, and it hasn't made the noise.

Is there anything i should look for in the car that would tell me if i have any extras such as the proximity sensor fitted?

Thanks a lot for your help Matt (and everyone else), hugely appreciated.

Dan

Pull up the gear surround part of the dash, (it just pulls up, held down with clips), and look for a sensor underneath. You may find it's under the armrest, but most installations I've seen tend to be fairly visable.

If it's not immediatly apparent, look for aftermarket wiring in that area.

The only real options for these sensors, is somewhere in the centre console, or in the middle of the roof, under the headliner...

It certainly sounds like prximity or dual stage shock sensor.

Maybe try arming the car, and kicking the tyre... Or arm the car, with the windows open and begin moving your arms around further inside the car until either it barks at you, or triggers...

Hope that helps.

Ok after some ..ahem..."testing" :

Kicked front tyre a few times........nothing

Kicked back tyre once...........alarm goes off

Lifted centre console and what do i see?

a "Clifford Proximity Sensor III" - not below the armrest but under the ashtray where i keep my spare change!

Could the money be causing these chirps/barks do you think?

What exactly does this proximity sensor do? Is it for detecting movement inside the car or close movement outside or something else?

What would kicking the tyres and setting the alarm off indicate? - that i have some sort of shock sensor?

Thanks for any answers/advice

The Proximity sensor III is the standard movement sensor that comes with the C300.

It shouldn't have a shock sensor as standard, so if kicking your wheels made the alarm sound, I'd guess someone has added one. (Check it wasn't the coins above the prox sensor triggering the alarm though).

The normal shock sensor that goes with the C300, is a dual zone sensor. In other words, it should have a trigger level that will actually set off the alarm under a certain impact level, and slightly lighter impacts will sound a warning tone.

If you want to call me today, (01622 683044), I'll set off a warning tone for you, so you can hear what it sounds like. That way you'll know if it is a warning or a fault...

Once we've figured out what you have, if it is a shock sensor, they're fairly easy to adjust... Once you've found it!

Hi Matt,

Rang today but you weren't in. Spoke to the other chap (as my car was making the noise at the time) and he said it was the "omni sensor" (sp?) and it was too sensitive. He said he had to be adjusted via computer at a Clifford dealer.

Is this a seperate sensor to the Proximity Sensor III?

I take it this is not related to the anti jack add on that was fitted with alarm?

What exactly is this sensor matt and how does it differ to the P.S.III

By the way, it was vey windy and car was parked near a tree, no metal around centre console though.

Hope u can help,

Thanks

Sorry about yesterday, I had to go out for a mobile installation.

An Omni sensor is a dual zone shock sensor. It will be mounted somewhere on a structural part of the car. Generally a dashboard crossmember, steering column or similar. It'll have a red led on the side of it, showing when it's active.

And on the C300, its got an adjuster on the side of the sensor... It doesn't need computer adjustment... I don't think...:conf: