The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smoking Ban

Bobbeh

Fantastic News!!! - I can't stand smoking - really pisses me off when I can smell it in a pub/resturant, etc.

I made the misses give up smoking before I would go out with her. She now can't believe she smoked and can't stand it when she can smell it.

It doesn't bother me if people want to kill themselves, but when they inflict it on me as well :complain:

Actually I think that the 'aftermath' of the activity are equally annoying for the non-participants. Same as drugs.

Yes, you can get high on heroin in your own home and why should it be anyone else's business? But wait, once you start mugging and breaking into other people's houses to sustain your habit the 'free-for-all' attitude changes, doesn't it?

Same with drinking, I was once unlucky enough to live opposite a major pub and I can tell you that the after-effects of drinking are not always confined in the designated drinking areas (to put it mildly :D )

There are catalysts for everything we do, and indeed causes and effects. That doesn't stop it from being a personal choice to smoke, drink, take drugs whatever. Getting back to the topic at hand, i agree that smoking should be banned in public places.

[quote name=peter richards

andrew 7 , nobodys ever got drunk watching someone else having a pint .[/quote]

Yes, but many non-drinkers suffer (and badly) because of drunken behaviour...

Apparently one in three accidents after 9 pm are drink related, and look how much they take up in police resources, hospital staff etc...

I'm a nonsmoker and welcome the ban, however, I feel we are getting ever dangerously closer to a dictatorship.

I fear MP's are bowing to their own feelings and them of the hierarchy and not reflecting the views of us - the constituent.

Bring back public bars and lounge bars - one for smokers and one for non.

Accomodate both, after all they (the smokers) do stink but also have a right to stink.

Bring back public bars and lounge bars - one for smokers and one for non.

Accomodate both, after all they (the smokers) do stink but also have a right to stink.

I thought about this. There used to be "Smoking Lounges".

Problem is, people want to spend time with their friends. One or two may smoke, so they all go to the smoking area.

The smoking area became too small so they make 'em larger or do away with the no smokers sections.

The whole "social" aspect of smoking is what causes seems to cause problems.

I'm sure local country pubs will still flaunt the ban with just the larger chain pubs sticking to the law.

Hear what your saying Pete, all I'm trying to say is we all have the right to choose, where we have a pint, be it in a smoky room with smoking friends or vice verse or a lovely air conditioned clean atmosphere room.

I'm sure us non smokers can make the majority of smokers feel like lepers without an out right ban.

Small dark stinking hole of a back room for smokers and their non smoking friends?

Who's going to be where????

Personally I welcome the ban - I love a quiet pint of HSB on a Friday evening before strolling home for dinner. Only trouble is, I can only do that in summer, when I can sit outside, away from the smoke.

In policitcal terms I think the government has shown huge balls by passing such a vote-losing resolution. Not to mention the potential for lost tax revenue from tobacco and alcohol. The potential benefit to public health stands much higher in my opinion. Oh, and smokers are now in the minority - why should their "right to smoke" be more important than our right not to breathe their waste? And why do we have to put up with piles of fag-butts littering the streets? Or the still-lit butts flying out of car windows? (That one really gets me. Gonna stop now, before I get worked up!!)

well, ok, what if you own your own pub and you smoke? you can't smoke on your own premesis? hmmm.

I can understand that people who work in bars shouldn't be subjected to it... but no-ones forcing them to work in a bar equally.

I don't smoke so I'm not fussed either way.

A pub (public house) is by definition a public place, regardless of whether it's your own premises or not.

You think people should have the right to inflict dangerous chemicals and proven cancer related toxins onto other people where ever they want? :blink:

Designated smoking areas cure that one nicely.

Where next is the question? Sure you don't like people smoking around you, but how about the noise and pollution you inflict when you take the car out for a blast. It is where this leads that is worrying. Nanny state.

great news. i own a fish chip restaurant which i made non smoking 18 months ago as i thought it was the right time. place is so much nicer and 95% feedback has been positve. i wish i had done it 3-4 years earlier.now it will be law no one can moan as the odd one or 2 still do. as for drinking anybody should have the option to drink (to exsess if they like) but the law should hammer people who behave like idiots(fighting ,drink driving,vandalizm ,etc) instead of silly fines. if you cant handle too much drink dont do it!!

What get sme is private clubs have the ban forced on them too - if I choose to have a smokers only club that is not public and has a membership requirement that is to be a smoker I cannot legally do that under the new law - why??

Of course there is a way around it - I'll simply lease 1 square foot of my club to each member so that they "own" that piece of property and so can smoke in it - say £200 a year for the lease and membership - 500 members in each town who are driven out of normal pubs plus the profits on the alcohol and thanks you Tony I'll be a millionaire within 6 months!!

Shame they don't ban drinking in public too as it costs the country more in health problems and far more in policing and very few accidents occur by smoking a driving whereas drinking..... and who ever walks to a pub???