The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Near misses

TreesSZ

Had my first biggy the other day. I didnt think I was being particularly heavy on the pedal but the ole' rear wheels did. After a few tense moments of intense wobbly acceleration and looks of panic from the renault behind me. things were fine but no TC certainly makes a difference.:shock: Anyone else had any dodgy moments?

Worst near miss I had was when I was coming round a roundabout (Rural ish area) , came to my exit, and as i was coming off the roundabout at about 25-30mph I gave it a little gas, not loads, but a little.

With that the car span right round, and went up a kerb backwards, the car is still going backwards across a little bit of grass towards a hedge, whilst i'm in the car praying the hedge does not get any closer!!

fortunately it didn't and i stopped just in time! but I did manage to get mud in between the alloy and the tyre, which was letting out air!!

Lesson learnt!

Never thought of that:blink: Maybe I should change it to HaySZ:)

i would recommend fluffyimpactabsorbingmaterialSZ

and you NA guys want to try a TT in the wet :D

i was once hooning about near my local pub, few ladies about, so i gav it some, but backed off as 2nd turbo came in and ended up 90 degrees to the road, controlled it, changed to 3rd, no throttle whatsoever - let the clutch in gently, and ended up 90 degrees again - im not sure why!

safe to say that i dont do much wet weather hooning now!

going home last night, had a squeek of right rear brake. wen i touched the brake it stopped, some crap on disk needed scrubbing off.

going down the same section of duel carrage way i spun 2 months ago i decided to stand on brake peddle to clean disks,,,,,,,,, almost f**kin lost it again.... couldnt beleive what i had nearly done.................:giveup: :scared:

tt steve

So... The soop is a bit of an unforgiving bastard then:blink: . I had a scooby a couple of years back. That clung to the road like glue. Is the soop good round corners? I havent had the stones to try it out esp after the ass clenching moments Ive had so far. Still trying to get accustomed to the apparently variable acceleration of the auto gearbox too (do enjoy the auto though:D )

So... The soop is a bit of an unforgiving bastard then:blink: . I had a scooby a couple of years back. That clung to the road like glue. Is the soop good round corners? I havent had the stones to try it out esp after the ass clenching moments Ive had so far. Still trying to get accustomed to the apparently variable acceleration of the auto gearbox too (do enjoy the auto though:D )

i was talking about another car.

but yes the sup can be a mare. every one must have had a moment of some kind. at any kind of speed. even 10mph.

Worst near miss I had was when I was coming round a roundabout (Rural ish area) , came to my exit, and as i was coming off the roundabout at about 25-30mph I gave it a little gas, not loads, but a little.

With that the car span right round, and went up a kerb backwards, the car is still going backwards across a little bit of grass towards a hedge, whilst i'm in the car praying the hedge does not get any closer!!

fortunately it didn't and i stopped just in time! but I did manage to get mud in between the alloy and the tyre, which was letting out air!!

Lesson learnt!

Sounds very like my experience a couple of years ago. But as I left the road there wasn't a hedge. In fact there wasn't much of anything except a bank - downwards about 10 feet!

Car flew through the air and landed rear offside corner first. Bent the chassis, wrote it off.

Be careful out there if you don't want to go from this:

To this:

(I got the salvage back and stripped it. Broke my heart.)

Had a proper scare the other morning.

Going up a familiar piece of road I went to overtake a lorry doing approx 40/45. I didn't do anything too drastic cause the car was cold and it was a cold morning.

Anyway I was nearly past the lorry when I hit a large patch of slushy ice. It must have packed the back tyres with ice, The roads bend slowly round to the left and is real uneven and this caused the back end to slide around.

I ended up facing the left hedge going sideway up the road just infront of the lorry. I was able to bring it back around, but then it flicked the other way.

After a 'few' yards of going sideways I managed to get it back in a straight line.

I think the lorry driver was as shocked as I was to see a car over-take and then go proper sideways infront of him!

The Supra has only ever bitten me in the wet and that was my fault. Thankfully all recovered and no spins or crashes!

I span and crashed my Corsa in the wet, so I'm somewhat cautious nowadays.

My TT is actually more forgiving than my NA was, but that's probably the T/C, ABS, big brakes and LSD working for me.

I was exiting a roundabout near a petrol station in the wet with a young lad in a 206 gti determined to get so close to my arse he could read my speedo.

Having read about the Supra TT being a touch back end happy in (a) the wet and (b) on roundabouts near petrol stations...I made sure as I exited the roundabout that I was going in a straight line before accelerating, I didnt give it much (still on tubby #1) but it was enough for my backend to decide it wanted to overtake me on my right-side.

Thankfully, upon crapping myself my spidy-senses kicked in and I caught it and carried on my way ever so carefully....I did also notice that the young lad in the 206 gti had decided to give me a good 50 yards space lol :)

Im having to get RLTC installed now after my recent power increrase..

The car will step out in 5th when the single comes on line in the wet which is nerve wrecking But the map is so good its quite smoothe so I know when its comming..Im even used to it now, How ever my passengers are not

Ive been in cars with a really shitty map where nothing nothing then BANG turbo is online some of these are just V badly tuned with smaller tubos that are just UNPREDICTABLE...

I managed an unwanted 60+ mph drift on a county road the other day, o/d off , steady throttle, old Suzuki vitara up my a'rse annoying me but then the bend tightened up and the car went very light and sideways, luckily I got over my first vision of going sideways into the ditch and controlled the damn thing, it straightened up just in time for the straight. Must have looked impressive but didn't feel it. Lesson learned for that day.:D

:scared: sweet baby jesus of nazareth! especially worried by soop dogs demo of how good times go bad. Am I being too much of a numpty by maybe getting TC installed???:baby: (anyone know been badly hurt by the way???:eek: )

Numpty? No way mate.

Being macho is all very good, but it hurts when you bin it!

(I actually had RLTC in my car when I binned it. Unfortunately I had left it set to 20% when I hit a slippy patch-DOH! Another lesson learnt!)