The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fog Light Conversion

Vaughany

I own a J Spec TT, when it was brought it into the country they placed the Fog Light at the botton of the Bumper which looks s**te.

A friend of mine who knows a bit about electrics etc carried out a Fog Light Conversion for me. The setup is as follows.

* Tail Light next to the indicators are now Brake lights and Tail lights.

* Tail light next to the Reversing lights are now Tail light and Fog Light. (no longer a brake light)

A couple of questions, is this the correct setup or does it not matter which Tail light you use as the Fog Light. The problem I have the Geeza has never done this before on a Supra so its a bit of trial and error.

Unfortunately the Brake Light warning light now comes on as soon as I put my foot on the Brake. All the lights and bulbs are working as they should be. I can only imagine that when you detach one of the Brake lights and change it to a fog light, you must have to isolate the sensor so the car does not pick up that the Brake light is no longer a brake light and wont register a fault.

Is this correct and if so, how do I do that and what should I be looking for.

Cheers

If any of the tail lights are to be fog lights it would normally be the inner ones. Something to note is that technically it wont pass the MOT like that as the brake lights and fog lights will be too close, but I don't know of anyone who's got caught out by this. Another option is to wire one of the reversing lights as a fog light and just change the bulb for a red one. This is what was done on mine and I think it looks much better. It also prevents the problem of the brake warning light comming on. I believe you can get around that by placing a resistor in the circuit somewhere.

Originally posted by SimonB

Just do Pete's relay mod, then both lights will be brake lights, and the inner ones will be fog lights only when you switch them on.

Yep - I've done this and it looks great keeping the 5 brake lights. The brake light out warning light does come on tho' when you brake when the fog lights are on. I do believe that there is a fix for this even tho' I've never bothered to do it myself :)

Originally posted by Gordon Flynn

Yep - I've done this and it looks great keeping the 5 brake lights. The brake light out warning light does come on tho' when you brake when the fog lights are on. I do believe that there is a fix for this even tho' I've never bothered to do it myself :)

Yeah, me too. One day...:)

And me, have to say that was the best conversion out there, get to kep the stock brake light setup, keep both reversing lights for better view in dark, and then when the fogs are on, you only drop two of the brake lights, although I still get the warning light when pressing the brake pedal while fogs are on. I had forgoten all about that other mod to solve the warning light problem.