The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Old age - which parts to replace?

francis

Hi there guys

It occurs to me that Supe's are now getting old and many of the parts on the cars will have seen many cold winters and high milage. The radiator cap is prime example of a part that should be replaced when a car comes of age, but it's not necessarily part of a service schedule. My question is - on a car that's now over ten years old with 100k+ miles on the clock, what parts would be worth replacing to ensure the car runs as it should and is not prone to adverse events like overheating due to rad cap failure?

One item I can think of is the fuel pump.... presumably failure can lead to the car running lean which can lead to other bad things - should it be replaced or will these outlive the car?

Intercoolers are obviously another part for replacement (CW SMIC on the way :ecstatic: )....

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Francis

Crank pulley

Mine fell off last night! The garage says they've had quite a few Supras with the same problem.

They are sealed / bonded, and I guess over time that the bond holding it together just fails...

did you have any vibration at all prior to it falling off?

all suspension bushing and ball joints

:yeahthat:

I was shocked at how much better my car was when I completely overhauled all the suspension components, I had obviously been driving around for a couple of years with worn suspension. I am sure there must be a LOT of cars out there with very worn suspension. Best money I ever spent on my Supra in 7 years of ownership.

I have sold quite a few of set of replacement front and rear suspension components now to members, so it is defeinitely becoming a common problem with older cars. I have a price list of all the parts needed, if anyone wants a copy just let me know.

Shocks as well.

After 50K miles the oil inside has turned into black watery stuff.

Oxygen sensor. Don't wait for an ECU fault to appear, it may spend 10s of thousands of miles in a 'lazy' state before it fully kicks the bucket.

ALL FLUIDS. Very important if you haven't done this in the last couple of years. If it flows, change it. (rear diff, power steering, brakes etc)

Shocks as well.

After 50K miles the oil inside has turned into black watery stuff.

Oxygen sensor. Don't wait for an ECU fault to appear, it may spend 10s of thousands of miles in a 'lazy' state before it fully kicks the bucket.

ALL FLUIDS. Very important if you haven't done this in the last couple of years. If it flows, change it. (rear diff, power steering, brakes etc)

I think it's very important to replace the oxygen sensor. As soon as I changed it my fuel economy improved and paid for itself in a few weeks! You will be saving loadsa money!!

Very simple to replace. About £110 brand new from Mr T.

I think it's very important to replace the oxygen sensor. As soon as I changed it my fuel economy improved and paid for itself in a few weeks! You will be saving loadsa money!!

Very simple to replace. About £110 brand new from Mr T.

£110!!! :eek:

£84 from me including postage ;) :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...
well at £84 you can expect an order from me as soon as i can afford mate!

:)

A very wise investment! assuming it is your oxygen sensor and it's seen better days, you'll get your money back in no time as it won't be running as rich

I reckon everone with a older/high mileage Supra should replace the oxygen sensor as I did it and made a very big noticeable improvement in fuel economy

:)

So are there two O2 sensors in a UK spec? Should both be replaced?

I'm also considering replacing the fuel pump, however it turns out the UK-spec Toyota relpacement part is rather expensive (near £200) which makes the Walbro at around £70 seem quite tempting, but I've heard these are noisy and not necessarily better... any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

This thread inspired me to organise a group buy for O2 Sensors and Fuel Filters. See link in my sig for full details. If your Oxygen sensor and fuel filter haven't been changed for a few years, then it would be very worth while replacing them, to ensure the smooth running and fuel efficiency of your Supra.

Also included in the group buy are replaqcement gear knobs as the ones on many of the older Supras must be looking pretty worn out by now.

If you have any suggestions for other replacement OEM parts that could be popular, then please let me know.

This thread inspired me to organise a group buy for O2 Sensors and Fuel Filters. See link in my sig for full details....

Nic, your link in your sig takes you to the Defi Gauges group buy, nothing in there about 02 sensors / fuel filters (unless I've developed selective eye-sight and missed them :) )