The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket ECU's and Where To Go

terribleturner

Buying my ECU is always on my mind, and i know people say that you should go to your local garage and ask them what they preffer to map, but personnally i'd like to hear recommendations on who has done what.

I was hoping people may add who they've used for what ECU. I would say maybe people can say if it was a good experience or not but i know people may not wanna do this. Also was it on a 6 speed or Auto.

AEM

EManage

HKS F-Con

MAP ECU

Motec

Ultimate EManage

Any i've forgotten??

Guest Terry S

If it were my car James I would go to Mark Shead in Maidenhead and get him to install and map an Autronic, complete with their CDI system.

Keith Cowie's skyline seems to go ok on it ;)

I have run the Fcon S (piggy-back, better then the e-manage but no user adjustments can be made) for 2 years and it has been great. I am at this moment having the Fcon V Pro installed and mapped because I have gone beyond what the Fcon S can handle and I also am most lilkely going to run a bit of Nitrous. All work so far has been carried out by TDI and my car is an Auto. :)

AEM

Tlicense on 6 speed:- Bought from Whiffbitz, Gave me a good price, although said he could get me an AEM WBO2, but couldn't in time, but found a substitute. Mapped by Leon at JPS. I really recommend you DON'T take it to them to map this ECU. Leon didn't know how the software worked at all (Even phoned me up to tell him how to update the software!) See my ignition comparison thread for the timing map he sorted for me. :rtfm:

EManage

HKS F-Con

MAP ECU

Motec

Ultimate EManage

Have had a V Pro fitted to my T88 ( make sure its a gold unit for god sake though!) seems an ok ecu... just finding someone to map it is the difficult bit... i think Abbey are the best..i am yet to use them but aare next on my list... just watch out for a few HKS Tuners in the UK... arnt as clued up as they make out to be!!!!

Have had a V Pro fitted to my T88 ( make sure its a gold unit for god sake though!) seems an ok ecu... just finding someone to map it is the difficult bit... i think Abbey are the best..i am yet to use them but aare next on my list... just watch out for a few HKS Tuners in the UK... arnt as clued up as they make out to be!!!!

Go on name drop ;)

I've got the E-manage Blue in my car and for a cheap fix, it works really well. I'd say it's stumbling block is mapping big injectors. When I had 650's it was fine, but it's stuggling a bit with 800's

Its biggest plus point is that you could get the whole kit fitted and mapped for under £1k easily

E-manage Ultimate looks like the one to go for these days. It has some very good useful features. Just need to give Ian some time to suss it out properly.

I have a Motec M800 that was fitted fitted to my auto by Owen Developments. Since day one there have been no dramas, upgrades, user group visits or MKIV tech section visits. More expensive than most (although sometimes not when you consider flights etc) but well supported in the UK.

forgive the ignorance here......but why change the ecu?

The existing ECU is set up (mapped) for the existing twin turbo system. It will have been set for the size and type of injectors and the timing to compliment that system. If you change to a single turbo, all that will be incorrect and you will need to have a new ecu mapped to work with the new fueling etc. As the original ECU is sealed (i.e. it cannot be re-mapped) a new one is required.

OK, spoke to Mark at MAD and the Autronic works out to be the same as the Motec. So side by side, which is the better of the two?? Both tuners are not too far away so that doesn't really influence my decision, and price would ahve done but looks like im still looking at the £3k mark :(

CJ, when you got your system done, what sort of cost was the tunning?? Am now thinking about upgrades further down the line and tunning prices.

Motec is considered far better than Autronic in the race world. There are FAR more serious race engines on Motec than Autronic. As I have said before though, buying the ecu and loom is relatively trivial, choose your MAPPER first and be TOTALLY guided by them. I always reckon the cost of the ecu is minor compared to the REAL WORLD price of getting a truly good map written amd the installation costs for an OE quality wiring job.