The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Using a mobile phone to switch things on and off

Chris Wilson

I once read an article somewhere that mentioned using a mobile in a car, to shut off the engine, via a call from anaother mobile phone. I have a totally different need to remotely control a switch, at a none fixed site. If such a thing as in the article were realtively easily possible it would answer my problem. Does anyone know if this is possible without major hassles? Thanks.

(I know of x10, that won't work as the device I need to switch is away from the mains) Cheers.

Guest electricmini
I once read an article somewhere that mentioned using a mobile in a car, to shut off the engine, via a call from anaother mobile phone. I have a totally different need to remotely control a switch, at a none fixed site. If such a thing as in the article were realtively easily possible it would answer my problem. Does anyone know if this is possible without major hassles?

Hi Chris,

One of my electric-car building friends (nuts ?) has a small circuit board he built which has a

mobile phone module built into it. I think he uses it to send SMS texts to him when his car's

finished charging!

I can drop him a line if you want, shouldn't be too hard to mod it to receive texts and

do things depending on the contents (e.g. send it a text saying "TURN OFF")

Regards

Richard (electricmini)

Hi Chris,

One of my electric-car building friends (nuts ?) has a small circuit board he built which has a

mobile phone module built into it. I think he uses it to send SMS texts to him when his car's

finished charging!

I can drop him a line if you want, shouldn't be too hard to mod it to receive texts and

do things depending on the contents (e.g. send it a text saying "TURN OFF")

Regards

Richard (electricmini)

If it's no trouble I'd appreciate it, yes please! Thanks.

From the original post, I think he means the switch to be controlled is away from the mains. He wants to toggle it on/off from a mobile phone.

But doesn't the phone has to be by the switch to control it? Hence how do you keep the phone charged if no power nearby?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest electricmini

Hi Chris,

I got a reply from my friend, he says that it is possible but the project has

stalled a bit (he has too many projects, much like me)

Have you found a widget yet to do what you want? I can follow this up

a bit more if you like.

Regards

electricmini

I think I have found something, what i want is the ability for a mobile phone, say in a shed, awy from mains power, to be dialled, and the remote mobile to control a relay to switch a device on or off. It needs to be more sophisticated than ones which use the display illumination lighting up when a call is received to do the switching, as they can false on a wrong number or just any call. The remote phone would have tto cotrol the switch ONLY when a unique code is sent. Thanks.

Carlos: I don't want to hassle Stuart, his mother's pretty ill.