The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone know much about Ravens?

Chris Wilson

I have a pair of ravens living in a tree nearby. They are relatively unusual, even in the sticks here, I have never seen one outside the Tower of London or a book before. Charlie, a 70 plus year old countryman living opposite, reckons many country folk can go their whole lives without encountering them. Big *uggers they are! Sound like a puppy barking, and are pretty timid. I believe in captivity, though, they can become very tame and maybe they can be taught to speak, like a jacksaw can. I'd post some pics but never have a camera handy when they are in the garden.

I have a pair of ravens living in a tree nearby. They are relatively unusual, even in the sticks here, I have never seen one outside the Tower of London or a book before. Charlie, a 70 plus year old countryman living opposite, reckons many country folk can go their whole lives without encountering them. Big *uggers they are! Sound like a puppy barking, and are pretty timid. I believe in captivity, though, they can become very tame and maybe they can be taught to speak, like a jacksaw can. I'd post some pics but never have a camera handy when they are in the garden.

buggered if i know chris but will bring my car round next weekend if thats ok for my bpu as got to work this one, soz for the hyjack too:innocent:

We sort of live in the sticks and saw a pair of Ravens once. Huge **ckers aren't they?

Not a scary as the owl we saw. I'd never seen a wild one before. It was on the telphone pole outside our place and as we approcahed it swooped off low over the village green.

Nature huh! It's all slithery things and owls.

I don't know much about Ravens, but when I was growing up in my folks place in north Gloucestershire (proper countryside!), we always had Ravens nesting locally. They are bloody huge - must be 4ft wingspan - but are very friendly once they get to know you. My sister used to be able to hand feed them. They sound a bit different to most birds, kind of a 'croak' sound.

One thing I miss since moving out of the countryside is the birds and other wildlife, here in Reading we only get sparrows, manky pigeons and the odd rat!

Ravens are, as Chris pointed out, pretty rare in most parts of the country. The big black crows you see at the roadside are more likely to be Carrion crows. They're big and live off dead stuff. (As the name suggests)

It's nigh on impossible to tell the difference at a distance. Difficult enough close up come to think of it!

I've seen ravens on the North Antrim coast in N. Ireland a long time ago. Don't think I've seen any since.