The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gotta Love Those US Special Forces Guys!

Soop Dogg

Oh how did I know some people would take this fun thread as an opportunity to grandstand from their own :soap: and put themselves on the moral high ground, holier-than-thou etc etc :yawn:

-Ian

Hi dude, I'm claiming neither moral high ground ofr holiness:giveup: I was just moved to express an opinion. If this offends or upsets you then I apologise:giveup: :giveup:

So why put on a green uniform if you are not prepared to get shot at? At the end of the day, when you sign on and 'take the Kings shilling' that is exactly what you are chosing to do.

What I meant is that you do not have a choice in where you'll be posted, or the war that you'll fight.

It will be someone else's war most likely, it usually is. You agree to put yourself in danger for the interests of others (multinationals, political leaders, whatever)

But when it comes to orders, you obey.

They are neither polite requests, nor selectable options.

You cannot understand this unless you've been in the Forces.

The original comment made by the US Marine shows the stereotypical 'braindead' mentality, and superpower arrogance if you like.

That killing people is a joke, like an improved computer game. Duke Nukem.

What I meant is that you do not have a choice in where you'll be posted, or the war that you'll fight.

It will be someone else's war most likely, it usually is. You agree to put yourself in danger for the interests of others (multinationals, political leaders, whatever)

The original comment made by the US Marine shows the stereotypical 'braindead' mentality, and superpower arrogance if you like.

Very true :respekt:

The "recoil" comment may actually have been an attempt at humour, you never know, so the "braindead" label may be inappropriate.

Also, it could have been an interesting insight into the mentality of soldiers doing their job. Picture this - you have an infestation of ants in your kitchen; do you feel guilt about stamping on the little buggers and putting ant powder down to kill them off? After all, they're only going to get everywhere and contaminate your food. Maybe the soldiers have exactly that feeling about the terrorist organisation members they're exterminating...

The "recoil" comment may actually have been an attempt at humour, you never know, so the "braindead" label may be inappropriate.

It does look like it yes. Black humour.

Hence the label.

His brain has been numbed through training, brainwash, repetion and boredom.

Also, it could have been an interesting insight into the mentality of soldiers doing their job. Picture this - you have an infestation of ants in your kitchen; do you feel guilt about stamping on the little buggers and putting ant powder down to kill them off?

exactly.

...but since when is another country their kitchen?

see the point?

It's funny when you're braindead and you kill other compatriots of yours (cue the number of guns/household, number of shootings/capita etc)

But when you're braindead and start killing other people it's not that funny anymore....

I'm sure that killing people is never funny, but if that's what the guy has to do, then he must have to develop a certain professional detachment. If he is attempting humour, black or otherwise, that indicates that he is not braindead.

Oh, and I realise that Afghanistan is nowhere near America, but New York is. The whole 'kitchen' thing was an example. A metaphor. You don't just kill ants, you kill the nest.

That's a well dude, not a nest.

This has been established now, even officially.

Anyway, let's not drag the thread into oblivion, it started from a soldier's amusing comment.

OK he's not braindead, he's an intellectual invited to perform high-tech surgery to get rid of a social tumor.

Happy now? lol...

FFS!

I posted this thread as humour!

How can we ever know if the guy was joking around with the interviewer or not? And how can we seriously make anything like an accurate judgement on his intelligence based on his answer? All this discussion is completely futile.

Just treat it as humour, it was meant as nothing else.

The I mis-quoted you and i apologise dude. BTW I did my 9 in the Royal Marines - joined up in '79 and spent my time playing in green (including several years based out of Hamworthy in Poole) :ecstatic:

Not a war film quote, iirc it's Roddy Piper in "They Live"

yep, you're right.

John Carpenter wrote the line and used it in 'they live' in 1988

I first heard it while playing Duke Nukem, that's all.

Wasn't meant to be a war quote, we're not talking about a war anyway.

PS

Life's a bitch, and she's back in heat!

I thought you were dead against guns? :stickpoke :D

-Ian

LOL I'm not dead against guns at all. Its a necesary item on most battlefields. But I seriously don't think that a shopping mall in a clothes shop is a battleground which I think is where you are gaining your stick poke from he he :)

As far as the comment this guy made Yes it does come across as a bit blase and cold hearted. It is a bit of a theme with their special forces. I worked with them in non operational environments for years before I worked with them in Afghanistan and kuwait for gulf war the sequel. I find in comparison to our own special forces they are brash loud and boisterous. Their general issue guys are bit like that as well but not as bad but I chalk that down to their bonding styles. Whereas we tend to go operational for 4-6 months at a time the yanks tend to go for a 12 month stint. Now thats a long time so a stronger bond between the lads is needed just to get through it.

And I'll say it again about the people in green gear sign on the dotted line to go to war. I joined the RAF when I was 16 just to learn a trade. A green suit was the furthest thing from my mind (after all the RAF wear nice blue uniforms not cabbage kit). Its daft really because I ended up in more war zones than a great deal of the army ever did.

Its a bit of a laugh really when out in these places watching the poor 17 18 year old admin staff that get knobbled to be there struggling like F*ck trying to put their beds up and build tents etc :) and its these types of people whose parents have a go about jonny or jenny being out in a war zone.