The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gotta Love Those US Special Forces Guys!

Soop Dogg

wonder whether an Al-Qeada reprensentative would have said the same?

Well they send their sons (and daughters) to go defend their country, fight evil and uphold the western democratic values :innocent: and this is the gratitude eh?

The soldier's reply is indicative of the excruciating thought process going on inside their heads :)

Yes, but our lads don't feel recoil because they're using SA80's!

The special forces dont use that *rap weapon.

The soldier's reply is indicative of the excruciating thought process going on inside their heads

Some of the american soldiers i spoke to were very gun ho boasting about how they slotted this guy and that guy but some of them were very chilled out and easy to be around, its the same with our armed forces as well you get good and bad eggs.

colsoop,

When do you leave the armed forces and did you sever during the Gulf?

I have left already - pensioned off in december 04

I didn't do any severing :rlol: Or suffering.

Their were a few hairy moments but I actually quite enjoyed the experience, not so much the war fighting phase - (if you can call it that) but the subsequent peace keeping duties afterwards were enjoyable. I found the iraqi people very friendly and welcoming.

I think it is a whole different story in the region now, where i was based for peace keeping "al amarrah" it it is now one of the more violent places in iraq but when i was there it was still the honeymoon phase where evryones your friend. :rolleyes:

The special forces dont use that *rap weapon.

Erm....that was only a joke on the recoil thing.

I'm ex-forces myself and am all too aware of some of the arguments that went on around the time of the introduction of the SA80. (I left just before its' initial introduction) Apart from the fact that it didn't meet their needs, many of our special forces units would have refused to use it anyway.

...its the same with our armed forces as well you get good and bad eggs.

Good and bad eggs don't come into this.

A soldier is there to perform a specific task.

There can be no arguing over morality, conscience, aesthetics or anything similar.

A soldier obeys orders.

Even the 'escape' clauses for illegal orders etc are unworkable in practice, these things can usually only be proven afterwards (if at all), in court martials.

So what if some soldiers are 'sad', others 'sceptical' or 'cowboys'? It's their own way to deal with a shite situation they have been thrown in.

The vast majority of them didn't even have a choice.

It's the non-military folks who profit mainly.

Good and bad eggs don't come into this.

A soldier is there to perform a specific task.

There can be no arguing over morality, conscience, aesthetics or anything similar.

A soldier obeys orders.

Even the 'escape' clauses for illegal orders etc are unworkable in practice, these things can usually only be proven afterwards (if at all), in court martials.

So what if some soldiers are 'sad', others 'sceptical' or 'cowboys'? It's their own way to deal with a shite situation they have been thrown in.

It's the non-military folks who profit mainly.

While i agree with what you have said good and bad does come in to it.

A soldier does have to obey orders - absolutely but some orders are open to interpritation (sp)and this is where the ethics of the person come in to play. (hence my good egg bad egg comment) I agree with your comment as well that we all deal with things in our own way as well, and my comment was a bit about good egg bad egg was a little too general as it isn't as black and white as i have made out and i agree 100 % that most if not all involved didn't want it or have anything to do with it and that it is always the non military folk who benefit.

So why put on a green uniform if you are not prepared to get shot at? At the end of the day, when you sign on and 'take the Kings shilling' that is exactly what you are chosing to do. The REMFs and Politicos decide where you may or may not cop it but you have made your choice already!

It's the one thing that always annoys the hell out of me - some parent complaining that their son didn't sign up for this or that - yes they did!!

(steps down off soap box to await flaming:) )