The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Valve stem seals?

Jake

I'd still rather do the rope trick, it works, all the equipment you need is rope, and it won't drop the valve or explode 60psi of air and grit into your eye in the event of a mishap :shrug:

Nice to see they last 5 years anyway - do you smell the burning oil when you boot it Jake?

-Ian

Guest proburt

I am actually planing on doing mine this weekend I have seen toyota certified techs use an air line attached to a cyl compretion tester with much sucess on a regular basis. that is what I was planning, I will let you know how it goes.

i know this has been done to death but the problem with the snake charming rope and compressed air gags is you cannot inspect the valve seats, mine were a state badly pitted with a couple of the exhaust valve seats having dents right across the seat :(

I had a puff of start up VSOS smoke appear in 2002, just lived with it until the engine came out of the car last year. I have yet to strip my old engine but I suspect a few of the seals will still be OK, as I doubt they all degrade at the same rate.

I'm starting to get the hump with the sudden influx of Haynes Manual Generic Car Maintenance statements being shat into tech by a certain person. Especially as they've been through Google translate into swahili and back first.

That plus trying to sell crap every other post... My radar has one big ping on it at the moment :angrymod:

-Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest proburt

still working on mine. The old lady always seems to have something more pressing than working on the supra.

I have it all torn down and one cylinder done. I have been gearing up for this project for the last year and a half.

so far I would have to say its gone smoothly. probly wouldnt be the case if you dont use the right tools.

could post some pics if your interested, and I can figure out how.

• 1 month later...
I'm starting to get the hump with the sudden influx of Haynes Manual Generic Car Maintenance statements being shat into tech by a certain person. Especially as they've been through Google translate into swahili and back first.

That plus trying to sell crap every other post... My radar has one big ping on it at the moment :angrymod:

-Ian

LOL Ian....