The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suitable Sparkplug...(have searched!)

dandan

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my plugs asap but am stuck as to the best type. I've searched all past posts but got no real feel for the best plug for my spec. I believe one of the NGK types is suitable but not sure exact one. Don't really want to shell out megabucks for HKS so can anyone recommend a plug, with rough cost and supplier please.

58,000 mile T Turbo

Steel turbine jap turbos

2nd cat out (first to follow very soon)

Trial exhaust

Apexi BOV

DSBC

Running from 1.00 - 1.15 bar of boost

Any suggestions much appreciated.

As the car is coming up to it's 60,000 mile service in the next couple of months i may just go for the NGK's for now and see how it goes. If there are any problems i'll swap them at the service.

Are these the only two decent plugs to use without going into silly money?

Any idea where i can get the NGK's from and what i need to gap them to?

Originally posted by Justin

When I decatted fully my engine started spluttering so needed cooler plugs.

I fitted NGK Laser Platinum PFR7B - 4853 from Chris Wilson and they did the trick perfectly.

Not cheap though!

Justin,

How much each please? £8?

Thanks for looking eyefi,

I don't need to get rid of the cat in order to raise the boost as i have a dsbc. I really wanted to know if it was something worth doing performance wise. Most people seem to do it to gain a boost increase.

Am i likely to get lower egt's and less hot exhaust gas lurking around combustion chamber after combustion, basically is it a sound step forward as far as modifications go. (i'd like some benefit to offset possible mot trouble)

Originally posted by dandan

I don't need to get rid of the cat in order to raise the boost as i have a dsbc. I really wanted to know if it was something worth doing performance wise. Most people seem to do it to gain a boost increase.

Am i likely to get lower egt's and less hot exhaust gas lurking around combustion chamber after combustion, basically is it a sound step forward as far as modifications go. (i'd like some benefit to offset possible mot trouble)

As long as the boost is controlled after removing the cats there are NO downsides.

But a DSBC cannot lower boost only raise it

Originally posted by dandan

I ran at 1.2 bar (with a boost controller) with the first CAT in. Then removed the first CAT and still run at 1.2bar. My car definetely feels more responsive and quicker. IMHO running a CAT def lowers your BHP because it restricts exhaust gasses. Hope that helps.

Darren

thanks people, thanks for your input darren are you running a uk or jap car?

eyefi, i'm getting the feling from everyone that the car sounds louder and better with the cats out so at least that's one definite benefit :)

editted: i'm obviously not with it today, just read your signature!!