The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Upgrade testing

Ian C

Remember my loooong old post about EGTs and taking out the restrictor ring and upping the boost and getting a marginally *slower* car? Well, I've got the next installment for you lucky people :)

I installed HKS 256in 264ex cams just in time for 10otb2 and the car felt stronger in the upper ranges, but I felt like performing a more empirical test. Thankfully, I had my baseline setup results to compare to.

The differences in the new setup compared to the baseline setup were:

Higher ambient temperature by about 5 degrees

Both windows down instead of one

1/4 tank of fuel instead of 3/4

Again, I had a co-pilot video the Apexi unit during all this as it's pretty damn accurate and it's a digital readout. I played the footage back on my PC in editing software so I could step through each frame and note the times, accurate to 0.04s, of each 10mph transition. It's not exactly going to qualify as NASA level science, but it's a darn sight more accurate than watching a speedo and counting in your head :)

The results allowed me to compare full acceleration from 80mph to 130mph (obviously on a test track), with two gearchanges (3rd to 4th to 5th) between the three setups - base, base + high boost - restrictor ring, and base + cams.

Base + cams got from 80mph to 130mph 0.6 seconds faster than Base. It took 9.5s rather than 10.1. Result, I think! OK, it might not sound like much but I think it takes quite a healthy power improvement to knock over half a second off that speed range.

Base + high boost - restrictor ring was 2.3s slower :eek:, so those running mad high boost on stock twins may reconsider doing so, you may be stressing your engine while actually losing power. Of course, this is only my car, others may vary :)

Conclusion - HKS cams rock, basically.

I also got some other measurements during a mad moment. The margin for error may be higher for the braking results as the Apexi unit couldn't keep up - it read over 20mph by the time the car stopped but the video footage sound and motion of the poor sod holding the camera gave a very clear reference point to the stopping of the car :) Oh, and I wheelspan like mad through 1st gear.

Anyway, enough waffle:

0 - 60 = 4.6s

0 - 100 = 9.5s

60 - 0 = 3s

100 - 0 = 5.2s

0 - 100 - 0 = 14.7s

Suffice to say, I'm happy with that :)

-Ian

Guest Terry S

Nice one Ian. The underdrive pulley probably helps. I found the same cam combo delayed spool by approx 200-300 rpm. Bit like stallion spray aren't they. Stays harder for longer.....

Originally posted by Terry S

Nice one Ian. The underdrive pulley probably helps. I found the same cam combo delayed spool by approx 200-300 rpm. Bit like stallion spray aren't they. Stays harder for longer.....

This test was after the previous baseline test with the U/D Pulley on already so the .6 sec improvement from 80-130 was entirely down to the cams as there were no other changes.

Originally posted by Terry S

Still buying that by the case are we dude ???????????????

John:flame Dev

Peter:

Yes, stock cam gears in place. Terry told me he got some and found to his dismay that the optimum setting was... stock. You got increases in power *or* torque by adjusting them, yes, but only at a larger loss of the other...

Dandan:

I've got a mysterious set of hybrids, FMIC, uk spec injectors, walbro pump, CW set the fuelling up with an Apexi AFC, there is a lightened crank pulley in there somewhere as well. Also some ducting and heat shielding knocking around the engine bay.

It's a Jspec and I run 1.2 to 1.3bar of boost, depending on atmospheric conditions and my whacky boost controller. Higher boost actually slowed the car down, probably due to it heating the intake air too much.

Terry:

More of a gain than I was expecting, but I'm not complaining :) I haven't noticed a difference in spool and I haven't yet tried wringing it's neck to see what it feels like up to 7k rpm but I'm sure I shall try, see if it does work like 'stallion spray', heh (notthatIwouldknowwhatstallionsprayislikecough). I didn't notice a low-down power loss either, which is good news, but the 1st turbo spins up a little slower now I think.

Matt:

You obviously don't have enough stickers :) Or plastic t-pieces, I believe that was your excuse on the day :p

-Ian