The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Britain will be first country to monitor every car journey

John_M

From 2006 Britain will be the first country where every journey by every car will be monitored

Britain is to become the first country in the world where the movements of all vehicles on the roads are recorded. A new national surveillance system will hold the records for at least two years.

Using a network of cameras .................

independant online

What a waste of time.

If you were a hardened criminal what would you do? Oh, get fake plates perhaps? Hmmmm. System don't work so well then does it?

Fake plates? how does a criminal get those??? the gov have made it so hard to get plates made now :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

/sarcasm mode off

you don't even need to steal the plates, just make them as 'fancy' plates that happen to look legal.

Any self-respecting criminal would have a *legally* taxed/MOTed/insured car registered to a convenient-but-valid address.

These ANPR systems are out to catch tax/insurance dodgers, anything that has to do with fines and gvnt money.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the Labour government introduced this. Certainly can't blame the police for wanting something that could potentially help track down criminals, but the privacy concerns are pretty major.

This system would be prone to abuse and it seems likely that innocent people would be open to accusations if their number plates were recognised incorrectly. And, as said earlier, criminals simply need a few number plates with velcro backing every time they go out!

Incidentally, I tried some number plate recognition software recently with pictures of my car. It coped fine with reading my small front number plate (about 12" across), but it couldn't read my original full-size number plate correctly - the bolt in the "9" made it recognise it as an "S". I know what I'll be doing to my number plate if this system ever takes off :p

...I know what I'll be doing to my number plate if this system ever takes off :p

The system has taken off and is spreading, after the first batches of bugs were ironed out.

Most fancy plates, reasonable dirt and odd screws do not thow it off-guard anymore.

If it cannot make a confident reading it just throws a question mark, in which case the vehicle will be stopped and checked manually (in the final version of the system)

The plate-recognition software you've used is most probably far different to the versions currently in the ANPR systems. So don't bet on fooling it so easily. As the list of 'exceptions' grows, it will be increasingly difficult to fly 'under the radar'

O.K. guys

Look at what is happening, your freedom is going

you can now be tracked by the officials and any small infringement will be on camera

this setup can tell where you are and when, so it doesn,t take much thought

to work out how long it took you to travel between points A and B

A few miles per hour over the speed limit and your nicked

how long will it be before there are microphones in public places listening to what you say and nicking you for what opinions you have

It'll never happen. The oproar would be immense

WAKE UP

it IS happening

you can now be tracked by the officials and any small infringement will be on camera

this has been happening for years. Just because they chose not to act on each and every misdemeanor doesn't mean that they will not do it in the future.

...or use it as a 'bargaining' chip to make people do as they are told.;)

this setup can tell where you are and when, so it doesn,t take much thought

to work out how long it took you to travel between points A and B

not yet, there are not enough points, but they are growing fast. Speed enforcing is a fortunate byproduct of the system, not the main reason though.

how long will it be before there are microphones in public places listening to what you say and nicking you for what opinions you have

Not new -- the walls have always had ears

WAKE UP

it IS happening

It's always been happening, just not in an automated fashion like this.

There are numerous ways round it, though.

This country is heading for a big crash.

Now not only do we have speed camera's everywhere we now will be monitored everytime we drive..... thats an invasion of human rights !!!

This system will probably upgraded one day to become a nationwide speed camera so they can get millions in fines.

Its not enough that we spend an obscean amount of money on Road tax and Petrol Tax (which i think is like 70% or something) then have to pay national insurance to, yeah i understand that all the hosiptals and emergancy services need this money but..... not the police, this system would probably cost Billions of taxpayers money only for them to probably cheat us out of more money in the long run.

I know i am going off in a rant here but i did a little look at how much tax we actualy pay in 1 month based on a month of spending my whole salary for that month. After i worked it out i paid around 75% of my salary in TAX !! (Including Genral PAYE Tax and National Insurance), What the hell is this country doing !!!!! and now they are going to spend it on another "flop" like the millenium dome !!!!

What a bunch of Twats

Rant over

I have all the respect in the world for the Police BUT i hate this Big Brother thing. Same with speed cameras etc, they are just money makin schemes. The thing that really annoys me is that when you need the police for something more serious e.g. burglary, they're unreliable. Seem more focussed on gettin ££ from fines rather than protecting people from more serious issues.

Face it, theres nothing you can do about it. Well there is but that ain't ever going to happen in this country.

It has been happening since they introduced the pilot around Newcastle Town centre many a moons ago to monitor the city. I think it was like in 1989 or something like that.

The results were soo pleasing to the butt fisting politicians that it has gone onto many other cities.

They will do the same on roads, train, plains and suburban areas too.

Face it they are and will continue to watch you.

Oh yes we the people in power (what a joke) will be fisted!!!

We need a revolution!!!! Tell these scum sucking pig fisters where to go.

Sorry not appropraite really but I hate the way we are slowly loosing our freedom to be an individual!!:complain:

I hate the republic state of Britain!

Rant over :(

It might well be introduced in small built up areas but never ever in a month of sundays ( or christmas eves) be introduced outside of city centers etc,.

the revenue produced from shop owners and companys will pay for the schemes,but theres no way they will use extra money from local budget to pay for a system like this in more rural areas and housing areas if at all full entire motorways,,..

the cost would be astronomica and would never be accepted by any local governemnt party.

your worrying about factors that would only affect you in built up areas.,which i would of thought a good thing,. it would in the long run result in ultra low insurance costs for the driver.