The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fairytale Of New York

lust2luv

Fairytale of New York by the Pogues and Kirsty McCall, surely one of the best xmas records of all time, has been re-released for Christmas. I say we should all do our best to get it to no. 1 (which it deserved to reach originally) and keep some manufactured x-factor here today-gone tomorrow drivel from the top spot.

What's more the Pogues will be donating proceeds from the record to the homeless charity Crisis At Christmas and the Justice For Kirsty Campaign. Set up by the late singer’s mother Jean, the fund has enabled the family to fight the long legal battle for justice following the tragic death of their daughter, killed by a powerboat whilst on holiday with her children.

I've bought my copy. Don't go moaning about the Christmas no.1 if you don't buy it too.

Merry Christmas my arse!

rant>

:looney:

Fairytale of New York by the Pogues and Kirsty McCall, surely one of the best xmas records of all time, has been re-released for Christmas. I say we should all do our best to get it to no. 1 (which it deserved to reach originally) and keep some manufactured x-factor here today-gone tomorrow drivel from the top spot.

What's more the Pogues will be donating proceeds from the record to the homeless charity Crisis At Christmas and the Justice For Kirsty Campaign. Set up by the late singer’s mother Jean, the fund has enabled the family to fight the long legal battle for justice following the tragic death of their daughter, killed by a powerboat whilst on holiday with her children.

I've bought my copy. Don't go moaning about the Christmas no.1 if you don't buy it too.

Merry Christmas my arse!

rant>

:looney:

YEYYYY!!! I had totally no idea! Watched a programme on how they made this tune the other night and it just reminded me how much i absolutely love this song...it, for me = christmas eve in the local....the only thing i love about christmas.

I will definitely buy a copy...

btw it actually missed out first time round for number one as the Pet Shop Boys 'always on my mind' beat them to it! How much of a travisty?!

Watched a programme on how they made this tune the other night
I saw that too. Interesting that Kirsty McColl didn't record it with the Pogues, her voice was added much later. Apparently a femail Pogue (I can't spell her name, something like Kate O'Riordan) was the original femail vocalist.

Also, there isn't a NYPD choir, only a NYPD marching band. And they were playing M.I.C.K.E.Y.M.O.U.S.E rather than Gallway Bay in the Fairytale Of New York video.

I saw that too. Interesting that Kirsty McColl didn't record it with the Pogues, her voice was added much later. Apparently a femail Pogue (I can't spell her name, something like Kate O'Riordan) was the original femail vocalist.

Also, there isn't a NYPD choir, only a NYPD marching band. And they were playing M.I.C.K.E.Y.M.O.U.S.E rather than Gallway Bay in the Fairytale Of New York video.

And don't forget that Matt Dillon made his hollywood debut in the video...:love:

#1s get decided weeks before anyway (the big ones at least). that's how they get the sales, with hype that they think it will be number one, so people buy it because it's obviously good!!!

That Shayne bloke WILL be number 1, you could buy millions of copies of another single and it wouldn't make a difference.

It was christmas eve babe

In the drunk tank

An old man said to me, won’t see another one

And then he sang a song

The rare old mountain dew

I turned my face away

And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one

Came in eighteen to one

I’ve got a feeling

This year’s for me and you

So happy christmas

I love you baby

I can see a better time

When all our dreams come true

They’ve got cars big as bars

They’ve got rivers of gold

But the wind goes right through you

It’s no place for the old

When you first took my hand

On a cold christmas eve

You promised me

Broadway was waiting for me

You were handsome

You were pretty

Queen of new york city

When the band finished playing

They howled out for more

Sinatra was swinging,

All the drunks they were singing

We kissed on a corner

Then danced through the night

The boys of the nypd choir

Were singing galway bay

And the bells were ringing out

For christmas day

You’re a bum

You’re a punk

You’re an old slut on junk

Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed

You scumbag, you maggot

You cheap lousy faggot

Happy christmas your arse

I pray God it’s our last

I could have been someone

Well so could anyone

You took my dreams from me

When I first found you

I kept them with me babe

I put them with my own

Can’t make it all alone

I’ve built my dreams around you

Or something like that.....:innocent:

I rather like it but I've never ever heard it all the way through, it's always been on the telly or the radio or something halfway through haha.

If anyone has it on MP3 I wouldn't mind a copy, said Ian, undermining the point of this thread completely :blush:

-ian