The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting people's addresses from number plates?

francis

Hi there

I was wondering if there's any way to get people's addresses from their number plates? I remember hearing on a TV program a few years ago that companies could through the DVLA for a small fee, is this still possible?

Only reason I ask is I went back to my car today to find someone had parked in to the Supe :( It had left a small mark on the rear bumper and I went back to write a note to put on the person's window, but they since vanished. Not really worth doing an insurance claim, but these sort of things annoy the living daylights out of me :complain: and I at least wanted to make them feel bad!

Cheers,

Francis

What happens if you do this and the car gets stolen for instance...

Does that make you a prime suspect?

I don't know the exact in's and out's of it but a keepers details are disclosable under the Data Protection Act. They are only disclosable under certain circumstances, but having never had to do this (:D ), I don't know the full in's and out's.

I don't know the exact in's and out's of it but a keepers details are disclosable under the Data Protection Act. They are only disclosable under certain circumstances, but having never had to do this (:D ), I don't know the full in's and out's.

Only your own details are disclosable under the data protection act. You can't request details on someone else AFAIK.

Only your own details are disclosable under the data protection act. You can't request details on someone else AFAIK.

Normally this is correct, but you CAN request the details of a vehicle's registered keeper in certain circumstances. One of these is if you find a vehicle parked on your land, you can use this process with DVLA to obtain keeper details and pursue the owner to remove it/charge them for keeping it etc.

Not sure what other circumstances there are.

Normally this is correct, but you CAN request the details of a vehicle's registered keeper in certain circumstances. One of these is if you find a vehicle parked on your land, you can use this process with DVLA to obtain keeper details and pursue the owner to remove it/charge them for keeping it etc.

correct. i've had to do this before when working for the roads dept at the Highland Council

Guest chiefvinso

I used to work in the council, well a different one to now and we dealt with abandoned vehicles. You could write off to the DVLA and get owners details quite easily, obviously I did not abuse this power!!. Dont know if this is still the work practice as it has been over 5 years since I dealt with abandoned vehicles. But if you know someone in this section, it can be done discreetly!!