The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear suspension removal

dandan

Hi all,

Can anyone give me any pointers or pitfalls to watch out for doing the following.

I have Tein HA rear susp set up and wish to remove the damper and spring assembly to have a good look at the condition of it, and the top mount.

As with most owners i have no manual (YET) and didn't wanna just jump straight in. Do i need to compress the spring to carry out the removal.

Any input is greatly appreciated as are any scanned pages of relevant documents......hehe :)

Thanks in advance guys...and gals

Dan

yeah, it looks mint. personally i like to b sure of my buy too, which is ok if there's not loads of other folk looking at it. did u have any competion while looking over it?

it might b worth having a search over on supraforums.com just to see if there's any other useful tips. they're always taking their cars to bits :)

apparently one chap genuinely thought it was too fast and subsequently wanted an auto instead, another couldn't get a decent insurance quote for centre of london. all in all he waited about 5 weeks for me to decide!! seriously nice chap.

i think he wanted to sell it to me as i showed a lot of genuine interest, a fair bit of knowledge and he wanted it to go to a good home.

Originally posted by John Packham

Rear unit has three little (10mm spanner) nuts at the top an one big bolt (19mm spanner) through the suspension arm. About a 10 minute job to remove/replace once the wheel's off.

I'm trying to do this right now but once the bottom bolt has been removed the shock extends to longer than it was before and now won't come out. Looks like I might have to remove the brake caliper, I can't see how it's possible to remove the strut with the caliper in place.

Originally posted by dunk657

I'm trying to do this right now but once the bottom bolt has been removed the shock extends to longer than it was before and now won't come out. Looks like I might have to remove the brake caliper, I can't see how it's possible to remove the strut with the caliper in place.

yeah came off ok once the caliper was removed. Still had to have somebody else to push the hub etc down so as to lift the shock over it but got there in the end. Certainly not a 10min job though.

Apply some weight (your foot) to the disc/hub then swing out the top mount. You can then lift off the rear mounting from the suspension arm and it comes out easily - well it does on mine.:)

I was serious about the 10 minutes - I've taken both out in 30 including jacking up the car and removing the wheels. But not the first time I did it:(

Originally posted by John Packham

Apply some weight (your foot) to the disc/hub then swing out the top mount. You can then lift off the rear mounting from the suspension arm and it comes out easily - well it does on mine.:)

I was serious about the 10 minutes - I've taken both out in 30 including jacking up the car and removing the wheels. But not the first time I did it:(

Top out first eh? I never tried that. I'll remember that for next time! Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

thanks john,

i still haven't tackled the job yet. almost definately doing it tommorrow afternoon. thanks again.

am i right in thinking:

undo top three 12mm nuts, undo lower 19mm nut, push hub down, pull/lever top out first and hey presto??

Originally posted by dandan

thanks john,

i still haven't tackled the job yet. almost definately doing it tommorrow afternoon. thanks again.

am i right in thinking:

undo top three 12mm nuts, undo lower 19mm nut, push hub down, pull/lever top out first and hey presto??

yes as long as both rear wheels are clear of the ground