The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nuclear Power in the UK

Alex

That's fine if you live in a city. Public transport here is non existant and would take me 2 hours and a walk to get to work. A journey that takes 15mins by car.

by PT, it would take me about 6 hours to do a 20 minute journey.

If I hadn't moved, that would have shot up to 9 hours for a 30 minute journey.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if anyones worried about the safety of a British nuclear power plant try and get yourself on a tour of one you will be reassured by the safety that is built into them, i was never a big fan of nukes but having worked in one now for the past few years you come to realise at the moment to make LOTS of power without all the CO2 emmisions they are THE only deal in town, windmills have there place but it aint core generation its more of a top up, at full load the station i work at is pumping out 1250 MW 24/7 regardless of the wind speed, thats an awefull lot of windmills, nuclear power also allows me to buy lots of goodies for my car so i obviously have an impartial and unbiased view :thumbs:

Wind power is really a non starter we would need to build 20 2Mw wind turbines a week for the next 20 years to provide half of all the green power target. And it would cost 3 times the amount which would be passed on to the consumer.

If you are under 40 you will see the day that oil runs out

The only option is nuclear power, and I would rather it be here where the management of the waste was topnotch rather than the nuclear wastelands in some parts of Russia

Problem with everyone saying yes to nuclear power, it's usually the same old story. It's ok 'but not on my doorstep'... If it's so safe, ask yourself, would you be happy for them to build one near the town you live in? I think not. The UK is a small place, a large scale disaster really could be quite catrastrophic to a relatively large area - statistically the risks are low but it could happen, the more you build the more likely it is of course.

I agree that it's safe to a point, but some of the effects are very long term and hard to measure...

Nuclear fuel isn't as cost effective as you might think. The initial investment, the waste disposal and the long term decomissioning add a lot to the costs.

The prediction for when Oil will run out is not accurate, no one really knows when because no one knows where all the reserves are - the price will just go up as it gets harder to mine, it won't suddenly stop in 40 years or whenever.

Investment in alternatives must continue, in 40 years time if oil is scarce I only hope we have a decent alternative like fusion based power, I'd dread the day fission reactors are very widespread through the country :(

If you are under 40 you will see the day that oil runs out

Yeah - I'm really looking forward to this. Not.

The wars and shift in wealth from the arab states will be interesting.

Hydrogen fuel cell powered Supra with turbo sound effects just won't be the same.

Anyone see the program on this?

I saw the one about what happened - scariest thing was the story of the firefighters, they went up on top thinking they were putting out a regular fire and actually saw the eerie glow of the core, shortly after they were all dead of course :(

This argument of oil running out is not as strong as they all make out. There are just as many research scientists saying that oil will run out in 300-500 years as there is saying that oil will run out in 50.

I suppose it depends if you believe the scientists working for the government or the independant ones. ;-)

The problem is, is that oil runs the developed countries economies and if oil prices are high then this gives the governments a lot more money in revenue.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that at these G8 summits (which are all closed door on the actual conversations between leaders), they get their scientists to publicise documents which support a high price for oil and other fossil fuels.

I live in cumbria and we used to have BNFL Calder Hall (Sellafield) in operation about 40miles from where I live and I had no worries with the place at all. I think a lack of understanding of the process of nuclear power is one of the reasons why people don't like them. The press will always mention radiation and radioactive waste.... but after its been reprocessed and packaged into glass... the radiation of the waste is much less than that of the granite rocks found everywhere in cornwall.

I still think that coupled with off-shore wind turbines that nuclear power is a good option for the UK at the moment.

I think a lack of understanding of the process of nuclear power is one of the reasons why people don't like them. The press will always mention radiation and radioactive waste....

Absolutely agree! Most people think of nuclear power as "Frankenstein science", because they don't understand it.