The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Britain today?

CJ

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has CJ made any further posts after starting this thread? it's been fun boys (and girls?) in a sick kind of way! Paul, like you, I think this thread has taught me a thing or two, that some people say things without thinking of the interpretations some people may have. Ooh I sound like my dad!

i feel there are good and bad in every race. people can hijack things for their own cause and then it gets labelled for everyone.

its interesting seeing the N word used, and p*ki, etc.

most people agree the word 'Jap' is offensive to japanese people. but its used frequently. a safer and more usual way is 'jpn' etc

most people agree the word 'Jap' is offensive to japanese people. but its used frequently. a safer and more usual way is 'jpn' etc

I work with a group of Japanese guys and they are referred to as Japs or J's and take no offence.

In Japan it is considered an honour to have a nickname

i have a few Chinese friends, from mainland, taiwan and HK. its quite funny how they dont take offense at 'chinky' and even use it themselves in humour.

its good having so many friends in SE Asia and Japan, ready made free holiday next year for a few months :D

I work with a group of Japanese guys and they are referred to as Japs or J's and take no offence.

In Japan it is considered an honour to have a nickname

That's quite surprising to me, as it's widely rumoured that it is offensive, though i've never understood why! Again, it's like saying Brit!

not sure that Jap should be classed as a nick name, its a name given to a whole race.

i think it also goes down the the context of where it is used, i.e country.

as i have said, though. some make allowances and adapt. others take offense. really depends on lots of things

i have a few Chinese friends, from mainland, taiwan and HK. its quite funny how they dont take offense at 'chinky' and even use it themselves in humour.

its good having so many friends in SE Asia and Japan, ready made free holiday next year for a few months :D

Another one, I think chinky as quite an affectionate term, and I do have a couple of Chinese friends who like you say use the term with each other and even me. And not in the way that black people call each other the 'n' word!

I personally think the UK is the best country in the world to live in.

I am Asian (indian) and proud to be british

I dunno mate, the weather's shite, we drive on the wrong side of the road, we have a shite health service and a transport system that was built my monkeys on crack. I'd like to move to Greece, it's nice there!!!!!

Another one, I think chinky as quite an affectionate term, and I do have a couple of Chinese friends who like you say use the term with each other and even me. And not in the way that black people call each other the 'n' word!

so true, its funny when you chat with them, and how they use 'chinky' as if its just another word.

and there are tensions between mainland and TW, but my friends there chat to each other and there is no hassle at all, just friends chatting

so true, its funny when you chat with them, and how they use 'chinky' as if its just another word.

and there are tensions between mainland and TW, but my friends there chat to each other and there is no hassle at all, just friends chatting

Strange but maybe it's the sound of the word? It's a soft kind of sound, so it's difficult to say it with any real hatred! Try it, go on say 'chinky' in a hating voice - you sound ridiculous! Whereas other racist terms used have harsher sounds. Again showing how weird the english language is!

I am a forum admin/mod on other boards, non car related. and i will ban anyone using the 'N' word, same as i will take anyone out on my IRC channels where i own, or am channel op. its the one racist term that offends me most. and i am a white English guy, non pc, but look at things objectively in life

yes, chinky doesnt really sound offensive, though some will find it. probably the PC brigade

always think of that when i hear 'chink in the armour', lol

Heh, yeah like when playing Pro Evo 4 (got 5 now so dont hear it) and he says "they just cant find a chink in the defence" or something like that!