The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gone Single - What would you do differently ?

Sharpie

For the folks who have gone the single route, if you had to do it again, what would you do differently ?

We have seen some people needing a new turbo a few months later, change ECU/Fuel ECU etc....or sell up....Not pointing any fingers!

Was there anything that you missed that you did not think about ?

Would you of had your car mapped sooner next time ?

OR anything on your car, that the jump to single meant that you needed to replace ? i.e. coil packs etc..

Did you keep within budget ?

Did you have a contingency budget ?

If you don't want to post, a PM would be appreciated :)

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had to source a HKS Alu BOV flange ... pretty quick! I'd forgotten I needed a S-ITC & AFR gauge.

Would be nice - but my situation is I didn't have any the additional kit needed to raise the boost. So, that would've meant 2 rolling road sessions. 1 for 1.1 Bar and the other for 1.4.

And still yet to get it setup.

OR anything on your car, that the jump to single meant that you needed to replace ? i.e. coil packs etc..

Just my IC - as far as I know. I'd forgotten that my stock SMIC was likely to be on it's last legs & needed replacing.

No. I went over budget my aproximately £450

Yes. £500

I think if was going to do it again. I'd get the 650's - so I wouldn't need an Aero FPR. Fit an Emanage. But money was an issue. And not having any transport was an issue - as the Supe is my daily drive. My turbo's were on their way out - puffing blue smoke out like Ivor the engine.

The conversion needed doing - so I couldn't really afford to wait to save for the 650's or E-Manage. But it's still on my to-do list.

Being the kind of person I am, I planned as much as I could up front because I wanted minimal downtime of the car (it's my only transport), and I knew there would be gotcha's waiting in the wings that I wouldn't have anticipated. I got the support stuff worked out (fuel system, clutch, BOV, DLI, welding of pipes, wideband O2, :blahblah: ) and bought pretty much everything up front. I was scuppered by massive delays on a preconfigured fuel system from the states so ended up speccing one out from scratch with Terry S's help and loads of aeroquip bits. I still have some left over :)

The thing I missed was the coil packs giving up the ghost. I didn't even know it would be a problem so it took some pain in the ass diagnosis.

After I'd got a beefy fuel system in, it was discovered by the Vortex crew that the stock system would deliver enough fuel with drop-in injectors. Although this is great for saving cash I'm still glad I went the way I did as I learnt a lot and I've got all the overhead and the twin-pump capability should I need it (I went back to one pump as part of a misfire diagnosis and as it runs 600+bhp OK I figured I'd leave it like that ;) )

I didn't really have much choice :D I'd recommend sorting out the mapping as part of the main job if you can though, as driving a car with a gammy map is unrewarding at best and expensive at worst!

anything on your car, that the jump to single meant that you needed to replace ? i.e. coil packs etc..

The clutch. It was knackered anyway but a nice RPS street max is holding on just fine. The coil packs - I would have said get a replacement set as a matter of course until Hussein (absxxxx on here) sussed out how to test them to see if they work, so maybe sending them his way for a healthcheck (with some beer money!) might be a cheaper option :)

Sort of. I bought stuff as I went along and knew exactly what I wanted (including, again, the ancillaries like clutch etc) and had it all costed out to +/- about £200. The fuel system threw a spanner in that, and there were a few other extras but no show stoppers. I already had the brakes, suspension, one decent pump, the FMIC, a resistor pack, a boost controller, some other tat, so the final figure of £6700 was pretty much what I expected.

Yeah, my overdraft and my credit card :D

I wouldn't do anything differently to be honest, I regret none of what I did. From a technical standpoint all my planning and research paid off. I have changed back to single pump but that was troubleshooting a misfire and saw no reason to go back to dual pump. I have swapped all the coil packs for new ones as I got sick of chasing duff ones down. Er, that's it, everything else on the car when I built it is still on there and working.

I have learnt from a logistics standopint that getting stuff from America takes about 2.5* the amount of time they say it will take, and I had a lot of bad luck on the path to single turbo (lost packages, failed laptop hard drives, missing bits etc etc). The worst bit of it was deciding that in fact I could install the whole lot and map it two weeks before TOTBIII :looney: Shame the misfire spoiled my results but hey, I made it and ran and made it home again ;)

-Ian

I would say go with Arnouts cast manifold first time round and do away with the screamer pipe (I can still do that) Apart from that im pretty happy.

I would add though that a higher stall torque convertor is a must on an auto but I intend to go manual.

As for budget, I consider it a work in progress, the inital outlay I intended was surpassed slightly as I needed a few odds and ends but Id say only by around £50.

I planned on using the stock ECU on my UK but nearer the install i realised it wasn't going to work properly.

Had to re budget for a MAP ECU to work alongside my stock ECU. Very happy with the electronics side of my single supra now.

Ditto the part about the BOV flange, I had aluminium pipe and HKS only did the size i wanted in steel! I had to have the flange made for me in aluminium as you cant weld ali and steel together.

If money wasn't an object i wish i would of done my Rail and Injectors and had it all mapped at once. i now have to go back to get mapped for bigger injectors when i do it.

Don't have many regrets, love the screamer pipe, the nur spec, and especially glad that i managed to fit it all myself.

PS, i wish i had Dual Ball Bearing!

It removes the MAF from the loop on UK spec and VVTi cars, converting the airflow system into a manifold pressure one, and from that you can also trim the airflow signal and thus control bigger injectors. Kinda like the E-Manage does but with less features except for MAF removal. The E-Manage Ultimate can do the MAF removal function now as well.

-Ian

Spot on ian,

Also, my MAP ECU is linked up to my wideband and it will log everything for me onto my laptop.

I can look at the logs and see exactly at what point i run lean or rich and then adjust that part of the map to suit. Very simple to tune yourself with this. only thing it doesnt have is timing controll which would of been nice.

I did hear that PHR were looking into this :shrug

I need bigger injectors to run past 1.4bar. I idealy want to have the facility to run 1.5 - 1.6 on "special occasions"

My 550's are right on there limit at 1.4bar so i have to be carefull.

Hello Veilside TT, I would appreciate if you could let me know what other mods you have on your Supra as I am running the PHR Stage 1 and i am a curious what to do next. I was planning cams and pulleys and was wanted to know if you have had this done and what the differences these made to your car

I did hear that PHR were looking into this :shrug

Someone once said in a film "assumption is the mother of all f**k ups"

Good quote! Cant remember the film though :p

Vaughany,

I have mainly the usual mods to support a single....... 3row FMIC, Full decat, Walbro Pump, FPR, EGR, FCD, Apexi AVC-R boost controller, IM wideband in car gauge kit, Nur spec, defi gauges, MAP ECU, :blahblah:

Have never really thought about cams TBH. Not entirely sure on the benefits of them if anyone cares to enlighten me:shrug: