The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What cheap RWD car to buy for winter? 200SX? E30 beemer?

Nick1980

Ok, in a nutshell, I was recently on the verge of supra ownership after a long search, but unfortunately it fell through at the last minute.

There are a couple of other supes I'm looking at, but I don't wanna be rushed into getting one that isn't right cos I need a car now, so if I don't go for one of those, I was thinking about getting a fairly cheap car for the winter so I'd have longer to search for the right supra and maybe get one in the spring.

Aaaanyway, what do people think I should get? I've had some powerful cars in the past (Focus RS at the mo), but never a RWD, so I'd like to get one of those and learn how it handles in the winter so I'm an expert when it comes to the supra :eyebrows:

Looking at spending about £1 - £1.5k

I quite like the S13 200SX, so that's probably top of the list, but I'm thinking that one in that price range will probably be shagged? Anyone got any experience of them? (Piehound?)

Quite like the E30 BMW's too - the 318iS is supposed to be good, but I like the idea of a straight 6 325i, although I think they might be a bit out of my price range.

Any suggestions/opinions greatly appreciated :thumbs:

My friend just bought an S13 for 900 quid and its a beaut!! Engine needed a bit of a clean and a service but other than that it runs like a dream. Came complete with aftermarket FMIC, Boost controller and guage, aftermarket BOV, turbo timer and full exhaust. Bargain of the year i though. If i have to get rid of mine thats what im thinking of.

Have owned both s13 and 318i bmw e30, to be honest with you the bmw was the most rear end happy car I have ever driven, it was hard work though and very unpredictable when the rear broke loose. But saying that it has made me a better driver as my reactions were quicker when it did break. The s13 was a nice car to drive and a bit more fun for playing.

Thanks for all the comments so far guys :D

Definitely leaning towards the S13, but I am slightly worried that 99% of them will have been ragged to within an inch of their lives!

Have you guys that have had them in the past had any problems with them?

Johnd - was that an 318iS you had?

A minter 2.8 V6 XR4i sierra would set you back in the region of the money you want to spend and if sourced privately would sell on again at no loss.

Hmmm, 2.8 V6 eh? interesting! Not sure how much I like Sierras though tbh. My recent dealings with ford have kinda put me off the brand too...

What do people think about a mk2 MR2?

A minter 2.8 V6 XR4i sierra would set you back in the region of the money you want to spend and if sourced privately would sell on again at no loss.

Steer well clear. They're all dropping to pieces. It'd have to be a rebuilt example. Just about everything on the Sierra I took apart for the kitcar was knackared.

Johnd - was that an 318iS you had?

QUOTE]

No just a 318i i think its the e36 that does the 318is, it was a verry quick car for a 1.8 just a bit scatty in the wet. You can pick them up off ebay for £500

S13's suffer from big end trouble, turbo to exhaust gasket blowing, tubos going to, rot around the rear quarters

MR2s are great, but not really for rear end sliding fun with the mid engine layout and short wheelbase.

I had an old bimmer and thats what Id go for. Not sure Id trust the reliability of an old turbo car and maintenance will most likely be higher. S13 is much cooler tho !

That's pretty much what I was thinking Willson - I'd like an S13, but I'd be pretty worried about buying a duff one. BMW is probably more sensible, just a bit more boring!

S13's suffer from big end trouble, turbo to exhaust gasket blowing, tubos going to, rot around the rear quarters

:scare:

anything with a rear LSD..... otherwise you won't get the proper feeling of RWD.

XR4i's are cheap, so are the parts. I used to have a XR4x4 with 30/70 front rear split with LSD on the rear. Wish I had got a XR4i. Although the 4WD drive was a good laugh you can get a bigger laugh with a XR4i.

Unfortunately most of them these days are full of rust.

I had an S13 which I modded to about 280bhp along with better brakes, suspension etc. etc. It was great fun but always had niggling reliability issues and as John has pointed out, big end shells do have a habit of wearing out on them. I wouldn't be so scared of that though, as parts are cheap for them - the biggest problem with the S13 is the rust, especially around the sills, chassis legs, tailgate and suspension turrets. If you're gonna get one, go for as young as possible a model from as far down south as possible - a '94 from Cornwall would be ideal lol. This way it will have the least rust as these cars really do rot to death. Mine was a mint example low miler '94 and it still had rust that I wasn't happy with when compared with say a '94 GT4 like my brothers which has no rust at all.

HTH,

Brian.

Mk3 Supra's are also great cars but the UK model, turbo or not, suffers from blown headgaskets with the 7M series engine. What you want is the uber rare collectors piece JZA70 model Mk3 with the 1JZ-GTE 2.5 litre Twin Turbo engine, like mine ;) They go for much more than £1k tho :)

Go for a mk3 turbo, ask if its had the headgasket done in its history. If the answers yes your ok, the original torque setting of 52lbft was the cause of failed headgaskets, its was changed to 72lbft . you should be able to run at just below FC with no un-reliability issues. AND you get a hell of a lot of car for the money!

take one on a test drive, you'l be impressed - torque monsters