The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Twin brake lights?

Geezabloke

Done the usual search......B4 anyone starts?

Has anyone got a diagram to wire a relay circuit to enable the twin brake light conversion on a UK spec rear light?

ie Brakes and fogs come on with brakes, but fogs can overide when switched on.

I found the opposite for J specs ie. Brake to fog but would like a specific diagram for the UK if possible?

Cheers in advance guys

DOH!!

Just re-read your post and can now see that you want to do something different to what I thought. (Thinking J-SPec)

To do what you want shouldn't be too different as you still want to swap between the same two circuits at the same points, albeit that the functionality is slightly different.

Pete might still be able to help!

:conf:

I wouldn't mind doing that. What I'd really like is for them to light up together as normal lights (does that make sense? :conf: )

If I hadn't parked my car next to yours Geeza and Steve pointing out I have UK conversions I'd have never have known :)

Originally posted by Andrew

What I'd really like is for them to light up together as normal lights (does that make sense? :conf: )

The problem there IMO is that the fog light is not a dual bulb holder and therefore only has one bulb which will only come on with either brakes or driving lights not both, the standard brake light holder has two (one for the brakes and one for the driving light).

Also the fog bulbs will be too bright for driving lights.

If you change them to driving lights ie. the correct wattage they will no longer be effective as fog lights when switched over.

You could wire them into the brake light circuit and leave them connected with the fog circuit, they would then remain on when the fogs are switched on, or change the bulbs and wire in with driving lights only (no fogs).

Either way it needs to be done via a relay so the feeding circuit (brake / driving) can be isolated from the fog light circuit when switched to fog operation.

I hope this makes sense?

Would anyone like to correct this?

Makes sense to me mate.

What about the legality of the fog lights coming on when you brake, could you get a tug from the law when they light up?

You've got me thinking about swapping my fog bulbs over for normal ones now aswell. Obviously it's a bit dodgey if it's foggy one day :)

Apparantly it is illegal to use a light designed as a fog lamp, to be used as a brake light.I know this because i got stopped by an 'eagle eyed' traffic cop some years back.(not in a supra)

I suppose it depends on a cops knowledge with the supra, ie Jap spec, UK spec. Al.

I thought rear fogs and brakes were the same wattage (21W)? Maybe there is different diffusion in the lenses.

The legality comes in the fact that the fog has to be at least 10cm from the nearest brake light, so from that point of view you could "legally" do the twin brake light / one brake & fog conversion on a UK car where the two red lenses are separated by the reversing light, but not in a JDM or US car where they are together.

There may also be an issue with the fog having to be a fog and nothing else.

Originally posted by Geezabloke

Can you use fogs as brake lights if you put correct wattage bulbs in?

And is the Fog light part of the MOT?

You must use a light only for what it was designed for.

So technically i shouldn't use my J spec inner brake light as a fog!:( ......but i will............for MOT that is. Al.

soonto... take care, this animal can bite and leaves a small RED disgusting... RED.... yuky RED kinda' bite mark 2....

you are right though... they remind me more of summin you'd stick up the attached though?

ps: check the avitar!;)

Attachment removed by admin as not suitable viewing for a family or technical.

Guest Martin F

Guys - This is a technical area, can we please try (yes i know it's hard) and keep the majority of the content technical.

Pleanty of other sections to rip the piss out of each other.

:moo:

Darren, you're dead right about the '10cm' thing...

However, mine (and a hell of a lot of other J's) went thru SVA

with ONE rear/inner stop/tail swapped to a Fog...

(the other inner just being disabled completely).

I, of course, IMMEDIATELY ripped off the fog-wire and reconnected

them back PROPERLY !

It only means popping the two clusters off and pulling 4 connectors

off / putting 1 on IF necessary for MOT.

I REALLY don't want/need to drive in fog (only seems to happen

~4/5 days in the year anyhow) - can't USE the Soop in fog anyhow:p

[ At some stage, however, I WOULD like to do the 'relay' thing

just to 'tidy-it-up' / make life easier... if you've got the time do it

now... if not, JUST DO IT the J-WAY ]