The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Legend Best 'enters final hours'

DamanC

Footballing legend George Best is unlikely to survive another 24 hours, his doctor has said.

He could not recover from the internal bleeding that developed during the night, Professor Roger Williams said.

"I have to tell you his hours are numbered," he said at Cromwell Hospital, west London, at 1250 GMT.

The ex-Northern Ireland and Manchester United star, 59, deteriorated with a lung infection on Friday, after almost eight weeks in hospital.

Professor Williams said on Thursday: "Mr Best is coming to the end of the long road of his ill health.

It is just not possible to recover from that

Professor Roger Williams on George Best's internal bleeding

"The situation is that medically the intensive care team and everybody concerned have managed to cope with pretty well all of the complications except the one that has happened again during the night - this bleeding.

"Although [the blood] has been replaced, it has now affected the lungs and other parts, and there is really no return from that situation.

"It is just not possible to recover from that."

He added: "He is still having standard medical care and treatment but I have to tell you that his hours are numbered now and it's all very upsetting."

Family vigil

Best was admitted to hospital on 1 October with flu-like symptoms, and suffered a kidney infection and internal bleeding before the latest decline.

Drugs needed after his liver transplant in 2002 had made the recovering alcoholic more susceptible to infection.

Best's closest family arrived at the west London hospital on Thursday looking very upset and asked the gathered media not to film or photograph them as they went in.

Best underwent a liver transplant operation in 2002

Things had looked more positive earlier in the week when Best regained consciousness.

He was taken off sedation and described as "fairly stable" by Professor Williams.

But then his condition deteriorated once more between 0100 and 0200 GMT on Wednesday.

Best helped Manchester United win the European Cup in 1968 - the first English club to do so - and he was European Footballer of the Year that same year.

His style captivated football fans around the world but his playboy lifestyle degenerated into alcoholism and bankruptcy.

taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4465456.stm

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow you guys are blunt to say the least .

lets appreciate his footballing talents , it was his choice after all to abuse his body , and pay the ultimate price by the looks of it .

ill remember him as a football genious rather than an alcoholic .

I'm sure he was good at kicking a ball....sorry but his off the field antics have completely over shadowed any accomplishments...but that's probably cause I'm too young to know what they were.

as for Best himself, true he is a legend for his on the field skills, and also off, i suppose.

so he turned into an alcoholic, but really its his own fault, he had choices, and chose that. personally suffering from alcoholic hepatitis and taking a liver from someone who could have needed one is just wrong imho, and it annoys me.

lots of people suffer from cancer, heart disease etc, and through no fault of their own, if only the money could be spent of finding cures for those.

i dont know him as a person, but i just find it so off, that people waste resources of the Health Services here

final point: its sad seeing how he looks recently when on tv, but if he had changed his life years ago, there would have been different outcome, he is no age really. but its just typical overpaid sportsperson, no grip on reality.

just my thoughts on all of this

Yes he was a genius with a football but i work in the medical world and see people die every day while waiting for transplants of all sorts. These are good people who contracted their disease through no fault of their own. When i see someone like Best jump the queue for his transplant, the reason for which was very much his own fault, because of his "celebrity" status, it pisses me right off. To then see him abuse that new liver that could have gone to a much more deserving person all sympathy goes right out of the window.

I know alcohol is a drug and i cannot possibly comprehend how difficult it must have been for him to give up but when someone has generously given him a second chance at life you at least expect him to take it. therefore he has no sympathy from me.

Yes he will be remembered for his football skills but as stated, for me, he will be more remembered for being a very selfish alcoholic.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

A "what if" scenario...

It would have been much better if he'd karked it by crashing a ferrari of a cliff in Monte Carlo back in his glory days, probably with a top "bird" in the seat with him.

That's how I'd like to go, and how I'll remember him.

I have to say nobody "deserves to die" especially not in the horrendous way his life is coming to an end, HOWEVER i know how i'd feel if i was part of the family of the person who's liver he got. I'd certainly not shed a tear. And to all the people who say about his talents on the field - true point, but what are people going to remember George Best for? Amazing footballer or total alcoholic with no respect for any other? Food for thought.....