The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo sizeing.....?

Guest Usmann A

Guest Usmann A

Hi to all,

After my very informative past threads on turbos;) :D , I d like to ask a few questions about what turbo to go for to suit our aims.

Only prefer medium good capable single setup, and plan to run it on stock internals,

we are searching for a solid 550bhp+ but it has to be useable, meaning not too much lag(which twins would have on stock engine)

we are only planning this at this stage thanks to Mr. RS6 man..

Ill list the main things which come into my head so I fI miss anything out pls let me know....

Greddy 1.2mm MHG

Turbo your suggestions pls.....single only...??

HKS fuel rail with 680cc injectors

AEMs or MOTEC ecu units

JUN/HKS cams

Slight headwork(unsure to what extent)

Double plate clutch

That list looks too short,let me know what needs to be done....

We already have FMIC,INDUCTION,PUMP,SAFC,EVC 5,HIPER SINGLE DECAT.

So in conclusion, could the techies pls, help me out with which turbo setup has the least lag, but good for 550-600 real hp??

And let me know whether this setup would be ok on the car also, pls bring in your views from the spec I have provided.

Any advice/help is well appreciated!!!

So any single turbos welcome...:D

I ordered mine last night, but I'm doing a Terry and not telling anyone what it is :p 600bhp should not be a problem :D

The trouble you'll have is that when americans talk about horsepower they usually talk about high octane fuels, extremem boost levels. And then when you ask them about pump fuel numbers, they don't run any more 1.1 bar on pump because they don't understand ignition mapping!

like I said to someone else, FORGET about bhp figures and concentrate on where you want the powerband to start. A 500bhp car with good driveability will give you far more driving pleasure than a 700bhp car which is dead below 5000rpm. Try driving the car and only using 1/4 throttle until you get to 4500rpm and then flooring it, that will give you an idea of the power delivery of a biggish single. I figured I could put up with an extra 1000rpm of lag over my hybrid turbo, meaning I want it to kick hard at 4000rpm.

I would say look at a 61GTQ on a .58 a/r for quick response (boost at about 3200 - 3500rpm) or a 63/64mm wheel for a bit more top end power and a bit more lag. If you start going any bigger than that your powerband gets smaller and smaller and you really need a new valvetrain and a raised rev limit to properly use some of the big ones.

I can recommend boostlogic as being nice people to deal with. Natwest are HORRIBLE people to deal with, they just screwed up my wire transfer thingy :mad:

Guest Usmann A

Hi Terry,

I was currently looking at some of the SP turbo kits, I think the SP63, or the SP57??They seem like good value for money comapred to anything HKS.....?

Have you anything to say on the SP kits, ie manifolds etc....any good?

The spec you quote, could you pls tell me what turbo you got that from?

Guest Usmann A

Cheers Adam, thats exactly why we want a good sized single turbo, ok lets forget that figures for a moment, as said before want minmal lag and good topend, may sacrafice a bit more lag for even better topend.

I was looking at the turbo kit SP do, for the SP66/?? any good??

Which one are you getting mate?

Originally posted by u_ali

as said before want minmal lag and good topend, may sacrafice a bit more lag for even better topend.

This is the trouble, you have to make your mind up :D prepare to spend hours studying dyno graphs and holding compressor flow diagrams the wrong way up :p

I think I'm right in saying that even the smallest singles will be faster than 99% of stock turbo based cars, so the big singles strike me as overkill really for anything except the drag strip. It's ever so easy to get carried away and buy more turbo than you need (or really want).

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by u_ali

Cheers Terry, is he in the states aswell?

Does he have a no. I could try pls?

Many thanks

No only deal on e-mail. See http://www.boostlogic.com

WARNING: As Adam said, Don't get sucked into the big turbo thing, the 63mm is as big as you'd want on the street. Maybe a 0.68 or 0.58 AR if you are worried about lag.

Guest Usmann A

Thanks guys,

Yes adam and Terry, trying very ahrd not to get sucked in...:p

Adam, all we want is to boot it at around just around 4K rpm and just shift sick quick till the redline, making more power ovbioulsy.. then at our current setup.

Cheers guys will get in- touch with Kean and discuss our options, I f one of you could goto his site and help me selcet the right turbo in right trim as there seems to be dozens of variations.

It would be very helpful......thanks:) :thumbs:

adam did you go with the sp budget kit?

the sp kits seem good for money, the sp74 is a big power one but may be too much lag for you

if you get a kit with a mid size turbo like sp63 or sp66 you will beable to bolt on a bigger turbo for drag racing and switch maps.

look on t04r.com see the top hp list and see what power and what turbos they running some also have there times on strip too. a t66 turbo is good for 10 second car and seems to come on boost early.

good to see a few people going single

Guest Terry S

Ali I have already selected a turbo for you 63mm P trim 0.68 AR would be fine.

Monkey, are you taking the P1ss with the 74mm? This is not a street turbo. It would be OK to use on the street occassionally but would be very frustrating using it every day. Remember I have just gone smaller for the exact same reason & my original was nothing like the size of the 74.

terry - would it be fair to assume that the same spec turbo (as you recommneded for ali) would suit my set-up/needs as well (as per our earlier chats) ? it seems pretty similar to what ali is looking to achieve on his. i've gone through the boostlogic site as you suggested earlier but floundered with all the tech terms. i guess with sizing and trim and AR, i am just out of my depth.

adam - i was the git that was fixated on figures, so thanks for the excellent advice of not chasing numbers.

adam/terry - any more thoughts and advice/pointers would be very welcome to more than a few of us i reckon. thanks for your input guys.

was only been greedy or is that greddy

you could get a sp 63 for street use and buy a standalone turbo for strip the sp74 is a more modern turbo, some of them spool better than old technology like t88 and t78.

if you went for the rps kits you can bolt on lots of different turbos, you can buy just the turbos from $1100

so you could get a t66 for street and a t88 for track.

also some turbos are way too much for autos unless you get a shot of nos to wake them up or a t/convertor. have always liked the t66 boost about 3600 and more than the power you looking for.

its a hard choice as you want the best for your money.

suprastore rps turbo kit

Guest Terry S

The Boost logic Kit uses a stainless steel Tubular header which the other "Budget" kits don't, that's why it is such good VFM

Roy we were talking about a 61mm turbo for you. AR would be 0.58. The 63mm will make more power but have more lag. The choice is yours.

Monkey, I wish everything was a simple as you make it sound;)

dont worry over things, take a chance and see,

MONKEYmotorsports is up n running. did my first job, did an oil change on astra and was a peice of piss.

need to practice a bit. if anybody as a blown engine send it to me to practice my re build skills on. first 10 engines built free of charge. also going to be offering turbo kit installs for £100.will plumb it all in then you can go to leon to set it up with mapping.

email me at [email protected]

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by MONKEYmark

MONKEYmotorsports is up n running. did my first job, did an oil change on astra and was a peice of piss.

need to practice a bit. if anybody as a blown engine send it to me to practice my re build skills on. first 10 engines built free of charge. also going to be offering turbo kit installs for £100.will plumb it all in then you can go to leon to set it up with mapping.

mmmmmm............................:innocent: :D

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

You didn't build that engine Terry found did you? The one with no wastegates or Bov? Sounds like the same top quality tuning service :D

I've got a blown engine, all that's left is the cylinder head bolts, I'll send them to you and I expect my free rebuild of a full 2JZ unit with JUN internals back ASAP :p :)

-Ian

As a mere 'onlooker' at present (but, when the originals BLOW, I'll

be a'lookin' !)...........

How much are you talking (very approx', obviously) to have 'JOB DONE' ?

That's to have one of the lower-price/medium-power/medium-lag

kits FITTED ? ?

When mine finally go (and possibly before?) I might as well go for

something 'slightly' more poky than standard...

Any ideas on costs for:

1) just having STOCKS replaced,

2) having Hybrids,

3) having bigger twins (? or is that Hybrids anyhow?),

4) having a smallish single

FatS.

Originally posted by dandan

hi guys, not sure if i've missed someting or if you've already dismissed them but what about the Powerhouse Racing kits from US

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/single2.shtml

Stage 1 or 2 turbo kit sounds pretty good for low lag and plenty power. Have i missed something major here??

I don't like powerhouse racing for the simple fact that they are very cagey about giving out actual technical details about their turbo's. Quoted from their site, "The specifications of these turbos are considered proprietary so please don't ask us details!" Fine, if you can't tell me, I don't want one.

I spent 7 hours one bored work day researching which single turbo I would like (sometime around the year 2037 when I might have some money), my current choice is the Sound Performance SP63.

http://www.sound-performance.com/

Originally posted by Steve W

1) just having STOCKS replaced,

2) having Hybrids,

3) having bigger twins (? or is that Hybrids anyhow?),

4) having a smallish single

FatS.

1) about £2500

2) about £2500 (but you'd probably want to upgrade fueling etc. too)

3) lots

4) lots (but probably not quite as much)