The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK and Jap Turbos

dandan

Originally posted by dandan

do you mean that not having a fuel cut defencer installed is a bad thing and i should be a little happier if he has one installed?

Fuel cut defencers are a good thing and are required when running above stock levels.

On the other hand if it doesn't have a fuel cut defencer then it means the turbos have never been stressed beyond fuel cut, which is about 14psi I believe. So again a good thing.

All you need to is fit a fuel cut denfencer and keep and eye on your boost gauge.

As I say come winter it will boost slightly higher in the cold weather.

thanks for your help Andrew, it's great to get feedback of everyone here. I'm really hoping I'm going to find someone to do an inspection for me or at least check the car over, but having a bit of trouble at the mo.

any ideas of anyone who might travel to Lyme Regis?

paid of course :)

Guest Martin F

To check for a FCD, you will need to lift back the passenger footwell carpet, undo the ECU cover (one or two 10mm nuts) then have a good look at the wiring going into the main ECU and see if it has been cut or spliced into at all.

If it has then these newer wires should lead to a small plastic box which is not always obvious to see as it can be hidden under one of the ECU's.

I just went over your post again, and realised the turbos are only 6 weeks old, and I doubt they have been abused in that time, the seller has already forked out for new ones.

If you like the car, all you need to do is buy it, and fit an fuel cut defencer, they're only £80-£100.

Then keep an eye on your boost :)

I get the feeling from your first post that you are concerned that it may have ceramics again?

Running 1 bar on these shouldn't be a problem, the problems arise when people run high boost for long periods.

I have my boost gauge set to alarm at 14psi and it flashs as it creeps up, I then lay off the power, so I only run high boost for a second or two which is all you need.

cheers martin, thanks for describing the location of the fuel cut, i'll check that out, nice one

andrew, really i just wanted to identify the turbos as either stock uk, stock jap or perhaps hybrids. do you think if they're not stock ceramic type (ie uk steel spec) then i'll have to tell insurers? thanks for your input andrew

They are more than likely J-spec stock ceramics if he paid around a £1000, hybrid conversions usually cost more, I was quoted £2500.

As for insurance it wouldn't be worth telling them in my opinion, I wouldn't know the difference even if I looked inside. Ignorance is bliss I suppose :)

i phoned lots of turbo refurb places and none did ceramic replacements. i wanted some ceramic hybrids. i have never come across the jdm turbo internals for sale as a separate item. the turbo's from toyota in uk r over £2k.

i can not see how TT have put ceramic turbines in them. i would bet money they r steel, the spec is anyones guess.

i think they're going to be steel too, not sure on spec though. Probably just recon uk ones? still better than a pair of 50,000milers i suppose!

thanks guys, appreciate all the help, any more opinions are much appreciated

i'll keep you posted :)

all turbo technics jap replacement turbos are steel bladed.

got to ring them monday to find out the exact spec. i don't think they'll be hybrids of any sort, just uk spec.

will uk turbos bolt straight onto a jdm downpipe - i thought there were differences in wastegate sizing (or is this taken care of before the downpipe)