The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just got broadband... want to give on-line 'console' gaming a bash...

Mike

As the title suggests... I've got 2meg unlimited... and I have an Xbox and PS2... can someone point me in the direction of the kit I'll need to put it all together..?

The modem I have is just a USB thing, so I'm assuming I'll need a router? can you recommend one? wireless would be good, but I've heard it doesn't work very well through thick brick walls (which accounts for all the wall in my flat!) so one involving wires would be fine I think?

Advice please chaps.... :shrug:

Ta!

I have a spare PS2 network adaptor for the older style PS2 if anyone needs one, PM me

Setting up the PS2 networking was a royal PITA when I was doing it, but once set up it has worked fine. not tried wireless, as I refuse to pay £50 for a wireless network adaptor when a route costs less. but wired through my Belkin 125G ADSL router it works fine. Just remember to set up a DMZ for the PS2 IP otherwise the firewall will make life very difficult.

Mike

I think you need a gaming compatible router for it(like Pete has provided a link for), as the cable out of the ps2 is crossover, so it wont work directly in the modem. *I think*

i think it may, as you can set the ps2 network card to send your username & password and create the ADSL connection just like a PC does, but most have routers so im not 100% sure.

PS2 online gaming is a bitch to set up.

You first need to go to the PS2 website and register to get the Networking CD sent to you.

When you get it, load it all up. you need a crossover ethernet cable (already mentioned) to connect PC or Modem to PS2.

Do all the relevant setting up of PC to PS2 and then Register PS2 on the online section.

I had to do a lot of "port forwarding" on certain games to get all the functions to work.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the responses so far... much appreciated!

Is Xbox live easier then....? to be honest I was just thinking about multi-player Halo 2 and Burnout 3...

So bottom line.. get a router -this connecting through PC - Firewall thing sound like a nightmare - can I just connect the XBox directly to the router?...

it's the nitty gritty detail I need I think... from the Toucan website (my ISP) they recommend Dsl Warehouse.. so could I just got for something like this which comes with a USB adapter (which would go in the PC) but would I need an Ethernet adapter as well for the Xbox... like this

or am I barking up the wrong tree...

You don't need a router wth an xbox, I don't about a ps2 though.

I have a usb modem attached to my pc.

I then had a crossover cable between my xbox and the network card in my pc. (I now have a £40 gigabit switch with the xbox and 3 pcs connected)

I then set up internet connection sharing on the pc (simple on any windows based post 98).

Then go get yourself PGR2 (:yes: wicked game) with an xbox live starter kit.

Follow the instructions and let me know when you're done and I'll whip your ass on the nurburgring :whip: just kidding, but do let me know when you're done.

Also get Need For Speed Underground 2 and we can go racing in supes WOOHOO!!! :clap:

I totally agree, but I use my pc as my tv for the xbox, so it's on anyway.

Also, if you already have a usb modem, you don't need to go out and buy more kit, you just turn on the pc and also save on your heating bill :)

seriously though, to save money use the usb modem for now (and it is very easy to set up, let me know if you need some assistance). The router is a better solution though.