The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stuttering slut..

Markie

All,

Just wondering if anyone knows whats the following may be caused by:

First time for a while the Supra was outside in the front last night.. But the day before I reset the ECU for the cold weather.

Anyways, this morning she started up fine and drove ok for about a mile then started shuddering/jerking.. Put the throttle down a little and after a minute it started to behave ok again - Had a ticking in the back passenger side also.

Got back and the car was left for about 3 hours. Got in her again and the same thing happened, no ticking this time, but the shuddering and jerking was back, but then gone after a minute or so..

Finding it really odd - any ideas please?

Feels like its slightly misfiring now and again also.. :looney: :giveup:

Anyone any ideas on this problem..

Happened again today when I used her since the last time.

Odd, because it seems to be fine when you first start it and travel a bit, but then about 5 minutes and it starts stuttering and seems to bog down. Just kept doing it then...

Really annoyed with the fecking thing now.

Anyone want to buy a Supra :)

Mate, I'm getting this too with power losses. But after taking the battery off yeaterdau and I know my battery terminals aren't on that tight as I'm taking the battery out again...Did you take the battery leads off for re-setting the ECU?

May be worth cleaning the terminals and using the blue battery terminal spray (dunno whats it called) and make sure everything is tight?

I am starting to think its maybe fuel pump or automatic choke sticking or something...

Anyone with more know how able to shed some light on this?

Its really embarrasing when people see your car and think, "wow nice", then the car starts to splutter and spit.. Does wonders for my red cheeks :)

Was it always stuttering etc, or was it like ours where is seems ok at startup and a few miles down the road, but then gets the symptoms.

Yep, very similar. Would be fine at startup, then all power would disappear - suddenly jerk on and off.

Gradually got worse as the wire broke down a little more.

I'm mechanically useless, but managed to fix myself and easy to check for.

Remove the cam cover, you'll see the connectors with wires going in.

Start the car, wiggle (yes, thats the technical term) each wire in turn and give a little pull. If it is them you'll notice the engine immediately run "funny".

Have you checked for error codes? (Not sure if you can do this on VVTI) As i'm fairly sure mines threw one up.

Anyone please got some ideas on this now I could try myself.. I think its getting worse.. Really cant drive it anymore now, only place its going to be driven next is to be diagnosed/repaired... :(

No ticks or anything today, just started fine, then worse, then fine again then very bad.. :cry:

Wondering if its a fuel leak, lack of fuel, too much fuel, really could be any of these now I am guessing..

I came across this once, here is what worked for me.

Remove the ecu fuses for 30 mins.

refit and start the car. dont expect it to run nicely.

Using very light throttle only let the car build up revs from 1000rpm in the first 4 gears never getting by 1/4 throttle. let the go as high as it will climb to in light throttle.

Do the same again at 1/2 throttle.

Then an full throttle in all 6 gears, or whatever you auto has.

Give it a try and if it doesn't work, you got problems. Hope you didnt refit the fuses with the ignition on?

It be could your cold start is fouling your plugs , as you give it the fun foot it clears the crap of the plugs and away it goes again, and as you ease of the plugs re-foul. When starting it maybe best to leave it to idle so it comes off its cold map and cuts the fueling back and see how it goes then.

My 2p worth. :D

P.s might need to change your plugs to prove this issue if they are really badly fouled

Replaced the plugs and cleaned the o2 sensor (in a lemon) about 1000 miles ago..

I will let her tick over from cold today and see what happens. Will also check the fuel pump is working all the time also.

Failing that it might be back to buying yet another o2 sensor and set of plugs?

:cry:

Well, running it from cold I could hear the fuel pump, it seemed to sound like it was working 100% of the time.

Let it tick over with a few revs now and again and all was fine. Also when she was at norm temp I did another couple of foot downs and slowly pressing the accelerator. All times the engine reved nicely and no choking.

Although I have a VVT-i when slightly pushing the accelerator down and when the engine first started to raise revs from idle I hear a little click from the engine bay, is this normal?

Just to add, driving yesterday, car seemed to run ok at higher revs rather than being in like 6th gear and going slowish, it seemed to misfire etc..

Think I will take it for a drive and see what happens now.. Failing this, going to get it booked in for repair at one of the traders because I have had a guts full of it. Dont even enjoy driving it now.

Well, the f'ing thing is still the same.. Sure its getting worse. But as mentioned before, seems better at higher revs but at 60 in 6th and doing about 2000 RPM it spits like a newbi hooker...!

Then just got worse as I headed back home.. This is all of a sudden since it was out in the frost about 2 weeks ago. Something is defo stuck or bust.

Any more ideas before I book it in, as if I dont get it sorted now I will end up selling the pissing thing! :cry: