The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adjustable Damping

dandan

Originally posted by Chris Wilson but I can only speak from experience and the Tein aftermarket stuff I see is nearly always leaking, knocking or plain buggered.

I agree, I have seen manky Tein shocks on several cars too, and I'm not disputing that, but relative to the amount of Teins that are being fitted my opinion is that the ratio of faliures does not mean that the actual product is bad in any way. Indeed, it's certainly fair to say that we end up with a lot of crap cars that Japan doesn't want and it's not surprising that those cars will be fitted with parts that are well past their best. In fact, now I come to think of it, the cars that I did find dodgy Teins fitted to were indeed pretty nasty cars.

They also often seem to have bizarre shock damping rates, possibly for the "drifting" market.

Both HKS and Tein do offer kits specifically for drifting. Maybe that is what you have come accross.

Personally I'd rather have the most basic Koni on a car than tein.

On the contrary, what with my rather large past experience of Konis and the fact that you yourself has had to have them 'specially' re-valved to suit the Supra suggests to me that they are not the best item around. Then again the out-of-the-crate Konis are dirt cheap (like, 400 quid?) so I guess you get what you pay for.

I 'spose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one chap.

Cheers,

Nathan

TDI PLC

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

found out that the dampers are Tein HA, after Chris's comments I'm thinking this is a bad thing.

I know many people have had "rear" knocking problems, so can anyone recommend someone to diagnose the problem quicker and more efficiently than Toyota - swap this, swap that...sorry sir no good.... etc etc

looks like i could be getting the beast at the end of next week :)