The mkiv Supra Owners Club

a client has stiffed me - any clever ideas?

roboldham

Hi there folsk I have run a number of businesses over the years, main one been going for over 10 years.

A client of mine has just gone bust owing me 50K from back in March.

Anyone got any bright ideas of what to do - I have dealt with this a few times over the years and normally it comes down to writing it off to experience.

But - for 50K it's worth doing something special dont you think?

Discuss

R

I'm sorry to say it Rob, but I think you're screwed. It'll be up to the receivers to sort out the debts and consolodate everything. There's never much left in these situations. Maybe you'll get 5%-10% back of what they owe you.

I hate this kind of thing. People you deal with for years and come to trust and they stab you in the back like this.

Like you say, THEY got paid for YOUR work.

Unfortunately I fear pete is right. If you go in heavy handed and try to remove goods you could find yourself arrested for theft. :eek:

In these cases the receiver will firstly have to pay all the secured creditors. these may include the C&E, IR, banks etc. Methinks you may come way down this list and get nothing at all. :(

I assume that you have PO's for the work you have done for them and you have invoiced them. This may help with the liquidators. If you haven't got any PO's then not a lot to be done really.

I do a lot of my work on trust, much the same way that you have worked with your client, so I can sympathise with you on this.

Guest Terry S

Rob sorry to say the guys are right. You will get little if anything back off the liquidators as they will probably be up to their eyes in debt with preferential creditors. We had a £50k bad debt and a £30k one all within 2 weeks 5 years ago. On the £50k one the directors were found to be grossly negligent ( they both had a 6 week holiday in Florida with their families with the companies money just before it folded). Both escaped prosecution and we got 3p in the pound back.

I am not the type of person who can let things like this lie, but you need to bide your time. Acting on emotions will get you in trouble. I have been satisfied by the outcome ;)

i would definately find it difficult to let 50k slide, i'd never sleep again. i had a 3k debter go into receivership a bit back and gentle personal persuasion got me 2k back pretty quickly and when he eventually turns up again i'll get my remaining 1k.

you southerners arn't tight enough :)