The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aero top stuck! please help

Hak

Guys, i have just bought a supra aero top (import) but I can undo the bolts to get the roof off. I dont have the proper tool, the guy just gave me an Alan key.

Problem is that none of them will turn! Is there a particular order to do them in - or are they damn tight?

Also the centre one is a bit worn and the Allen slips in this one which dont help things.

Please help!

thanks

Right the centre one at the front should only be turned, maybe a quarter of a turn as this just sends a metal bar out from the aerotop section to secure it a little more to the car. don't try to turn this anymore than that.

the rest will just be very tight. I would buy the special ratchet for removing the roof, from ebay or toyota.

Dont keep trying with that allen key as youll make it worse....

Are you sure there isnt the correct wratchet spanner in the car somewhere (along with the plastic cover plugs to hide the holes when the roofs off but are seldom ever used) ? You can still buy them from Toyota I think.

The Aerotop I had, had the same problem but only two out of the three front ones....

According to the Manual - To remove, you should first turn the front centre one a quarter turn anti-clockwise only (this ones a lock, not a removable bolt)...then fully undo front right, then front left, then rear left, then rear right.....replacing is the reverse of above. I found that it didnt seem to make a lot of difference what order you did this though.

If left for some time, the bolts do tend to grip tight, and will give a 'crack' when lossened. If the bolt sockets are worn / stripped like mine were, I dont really know a good fix, but I got a larger allen key and filed the allen key to shape as best I could to fit the bollixed roof bolts.

I miss my Aerotop a lot...enjoy.

A word of warning about taking the hardtop off and out, as it happened to me....take it slow and easy the first few times - if you dont hold it tight as you pull it out it can slip out of your hands (someones bound to quote these slightly dodgy sounding words !) and fall, edge down, onto the centre console / handbrake...the hardtop is alloy and quite soft...it made me cry when it happened to mine

I miss my Aerotop a lot...enjoy.

A word of warning about taking the hardtop off and out, as it happened to me....take it slow and easy the first few times - if you dont hold it tight as you pull it out it can slip out of your hands (someones bound to quote these slightly dodgy sounding words !) and fall, edge down, onto the centre console / handbrake...the hardtop is alloy and quite soft...it made me cry when it happened to mine

Yup hardtop is indeed quite soft but not as soft as the head of the person I dropped mine on in the passenger seat :D

Guest ash aero

yes and believe it or not it wasnt that damaged. It needed a respray but it fitted straight back on the car. Also very lucky there wasnt anything behind me.

Guest gzaerojon

just thought i'd mension how hot the roof gets in the middle of a hot summers day. wearing a t-shirt (as one does in the summer) lifted off the roof holding it in the middle and resting my wrists on the painted surface, i then hopped to the boot f'ing and jeffing with the smell of burning flesh (well almost) from my wrists. temptation says just drop the roof... :no: err i'd rather not though.

im sure im not alone on this one?

i love my aerotop... TT too :nyah:

just thought i'd mension how hot the roof gets in the middle of a hot summers day. wearing a t-shirt (as one does in the summer) lifted off the roof holding it in the middle and resting my wrists on the painted surface, i then hopped to the boot f'ing and jeffing with the smell of burning flesh (well almost) from my wrists. temptation says just drop the roof... :no: err i'd rather not though.

Get some gloves for the roof. Keith thought I was bonkers when I put my leather gloves on in the middle of summer, I then passed him the roof. He knows I'm not joking now when I say it gets hot :)

Yup,you're not alone.

Gets especially hot if it's black too!!

Angies silver aerotop she used to have got hot, but not THIS hot!

:faint:

Guest gzaerojon
Yup,you're not alone.

Gets especially hot if it's black too!!

Angies silver aerotop she used to have got hot, but not THIS hot!

:faint:

ouch!! black!! and i thought red was bad enough... i think i'll borrow a pair of fayes gloves:D